You are not logged in.

#1 15-06-06 13:51:38

adam
Verified Member

check test

hi all

got a letter this morning telling me that my first check test is due in sept!!! really nervous already!! just wondering if anyone can give me some advise on what the examiner is after? do i treat it the same as my part 3? is it best to stay clear from maneuvers? any little tips or advice would be much appreciated

cheers Adam

15-06-06 13:51:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: check test

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 15-06-06 18:42:03

Chris Newby
Verified Member
Website

Get a NORMAL pupil and treat it as a NORMAL lesson - recap, briefing, practice, etc. I wouldn't necessarily stay clear of manoeuvres, just give the lesson that's due to that pupil. That way you'll get valuable feedback from the SE. Use your own pupil, not a role play, and just give a lesson to your usual standard - it'll be fine. If there are problems, it'll be treated as an 'educational', if not you'll get graded, what's the problem? Good luck.

www.pilotsom.com   
Driver training around Bournemouth, Poole & Blandford

#3 15-06-06 19:01:07

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

As Chris said you want a normal pupil
use a pupil who you feel is predictable not erratic. and one that you have a good rapport with. one that you see eye-to-eye with, to be in touch with their thoughts and feelings.  and give the lesson that he/she needs at that stage.
It may sound strange, but you need a pupil who will make some errors, then you've got something to work with.

Be confident and Good luck
regards Michael

You can tell a horse to drink a thousand times, but all you really need to do is help him realise he’s thirsty. (Coaching)"

#4 22-06-06 05:44:03

hector
Verified Member
Website

Hi Adam
keep well clear of manoeuvres, the Se's i deal with say about 75% of current check tests are undertaken with the instructor choosing manoeuvres and their bored to tears with them!
You're on a downer straight away taking this option.
Pick a pupil at a reasonable standard, one who is not likely to fall apart as this would be a disaster as you then have so much to deal with.

Take some tuition from a high grade well qualified instructor in your area beforehand,get them to sit in the back and observe your lesson, in this way you know if the pupil is likely to fall apart with someone in the back!

Pick an interesting lesson content, hazard awareness skills would be a good choice. Introduce your pupil to the se on arrival, this makes them less nervous! Then let them sit in the car while you discuss the lesson with the se.

Start the session with a thorough interactive recap of the previous lesson ,(this is the first thing the se will see,so make it brilliant!) the lesson must follow on from the previous one. Set clear aims and objectives for the lesson(learning must take place,so aims must be set)

Pick a route suitable for the pupils level of ability (dont make it too easy!) a common mistake. Also dont make it too hard and have escape routes just in case. The se will now be watching your instruction and remember your instructional techniques/attitude and approach and core competencies are now crucial, any faults must be identified ,analysed and corrected.
Just because you know a fault has been repeated from a few weeks ago and the pupil knows about it, dont just let it go, sort it! The se hasnt seen it before!

If you have taken a good pupil who doesnt crack up and your level of instruction is correct. and you choose an appropiate route, use positive instruction, you shouldnt have a great list of faults to sort out.

Give a positive recap at the end, mentioning the aims / objectives and the following lesson.

Above all dont be nervous, the se's arent the ogres they are made out to be! All the bad things you here will be from adi's who have messed up and are looking for a scapegoat!

Hope this helps.
Nigel.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#5 22-06-06 21:41:51

adam
Verified Member

thanks nigel helps alot

adam

#6 22-06-06 22:56:45

bandb666
Verified Member

be sure the pupil you choose is reliable not to cancel on the day
be sure to get timing right - try the lesson/route out with another pupil beforhand smile

32228867b788f001d0578227977f51516cfb185f8a8b5a90a373e985.jpg

#7 22-06-06 23:03:31

luchell

Excellent advice above. Plan your route and lesson well. Have a backup pupil just in case the one you have can't turn up for some reason. Thats happened to someone here before.

#8 05-07-06 13:52:39

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

I notice Adam got his letter in on June 15th saying his check test was due in Sept.  He seems lucky.  My letter came in this morning saying I have to go for my first check test on 3rd August ?.  Is this the normal notice ??

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#9 05-07-06 14:20:31

luchell

smile Yes pretty much. I got just under four weeks for mine. Honestly please don't dread it, theres nothing to fear. I was a little wary of facing the unknown. Sure i knew all about part three and was confident for that but not much was written about the checktest i could find. Now i know next time i won't worry at all.

Just prepare in plenty of time, it's not a bad idea to have a back up pupil and lesson just in case either. One person from here had the pupil pull out at the last second so that would avoid that.

Alternatively take a sibling or parent lol I took mum as most know driven for 30 years, since my dads stroke she has to drive everywhere no and HATES it. Shes so nervous she goes all the back routes so i did ~Forward planning and anticipation with her. Worked a treat. I really enjoyed it, kept seeing the Se smiling at some comments we were making.

I asked mum to emerge right onto a main road and she was refusing saying "can't i do what id normally do, i would turn left looking at all this traffic!!!!" I said no you cannot, thats the whole point of this lesson. we are developing your skills to increase you confidence. What dangers would that cause to following traffic if you suddenly decided to fly to the left!!!!

Mums reply "oh you're just loving this aren't you, you're getting me back for all the years Ive made you do things" lol lol With that the Se burst out laughing in the back.

I was worried my attitude to the pupil may be marked down where i had taken family but we bantered happily all through it. Se was lovely to her, told her to do the pass plus syllabus with me and he thought dad who cannot drive now had been sitting beside her knocking all her confidence out of her.

It really helped her. Also i was proud for her to see what i actually spend my time doing.

I got a 4 would have got a 5 but my remedy was all that let me down. I was fast running out of time to fix one fault before the next came out as i had chosen the city center for the lesson there wasn't really anywhere to pull her over to go more in depth. I got a 6 for fault id a 5 for fault analysis and 4 for remedy. He said because i talk so fast and clearly i sorted it no problems BUT someone else trying to do it could get into trouble with no where to pull the pupil up.

I will be thinking about that next time. He loved forward planning and anticipation its one you can really get your teach into. The WHAT Ifs scenario.

I cannot wait for my next one hopefully in about 18 months please. I felt proud of myself for my first checktest not getting an E for educational even if that might have meant on the next go id have got a 5. I will aim for that 6 and i will be seeking further training. Probably from Micheal in croydon if he can put up with me! lol. I want that 6!! lol wink

the Se took me into the office at the start, it was a lovely icebreaker. Mum was in the waiting room. He asked me about my company name i said Hayley's new drivers. Oh yes thats nice i had a REALLY inappropriate name given to me by the last one. (i forget what it was but the name read something rude to be honest)

He told me its about how i present myself, at the end he complimented me on what i was wearing (usual for my lessons tidy jeans hair tidy nice top on etc) AND the state of my car. He said he is sick of getting in dirty cars on the inside. I'm really funny about that, mine has to be spotless as its my office.

At the beginning i told him my topic, he told me to keep it simple. I did have to change the lesson to mirrors also as we went along so i said I am changing our lesson plan slightly we need to have a look at your mirror work. Se was fine with that I also wanted lane changing to that was presenting itself as a big problem so all i said was " next week mum we will be looking at your position on roundabouts ok?" That let the Se know i had seen it and i was going to deal with it. He said yep spot on no problems with doing that. So at the start this is included in your hours checktest he chats to you for 10 minutes about what he wants to see. You need to get back with ten mins to spare for his debrief to you. Mum went to the waiting room. I looked round saw the sheet and said oh brilliant! He just laughed and then really helped me with some tips for the future.

Don't know if any of this will help at all, I'm just trying to share my experience to make some of you more relaxed. It wasn't like part three at all. The core comps are marked the same yes so of course they are just as important.

#10 06-07-06 12:58:09

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

Great advice there Luchell and I very much appreciate it.  You are right, it is the fear of the unknown.  I am very comfortable teaching the turn in the road but I have taught this to all my pupils.  My new ones will not be at this stage by 3rd of August (still on kangaroo petrol).
But many thanks for all your advice which I will take heed of.

Regards....Ian

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#11 06-07-06 13:30:51

Lady P
Verified Member

I'm sure I'll have my check test soon too, passed part III in March, so this is really helpful, can't help but be nervous... good luck anyone else who's got it coming up.

#12 06-07-06 16:35:36

smdtr

Lots of great advice here. 

Remember you need to change or alter the objective if your pupils needs require it.  No point continuing with meeting traffic if they're having a problem with junctions for example.

My old instructor told me that if your pupil cancels on the day, tell the SE you are ill or there is car trouble.  If you cancel because there's no pupil, he will offer to do role play.  You really want constructive criticism on how you deal with a real pupil on a check test.

Good luck

Board footer