You are not logged in.

#1 14-06-06 16:11:28

rooney
Verified Member

commentary driving for pt2

hi all just a week to go till my pt2 first attempt.
just a quick one about my trainer and his commentary driving for pt2,when approaching a roundabout or junction or hazard he has tried to instill into me this system of mirrors,signal,position ,speed and then have to say this out aloud.
had a training sesssion to day and asked me why i had a problem with the commentary,i said i found it really awkward doing the commentary of this so called system. in the debrief he basiclly said that if i do not use this system and commentary i have no hope of passing.
he was really getting on my wick to day.
any ideas or answers would be appreciated.is commentary driving neccessary in pt2 training any way.
          rooney

part1 30/5/06 92%-58%passed
part2 20/06/06 6minors passed
part3 coming

14-06-06 16:11:28

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: commentary driving for pt2

#2 14-06-06 16:55:18

HooHaa
Verified Member

I used commentary's as part of my training, not with my trainier but for myself in my own time and found it to be a very very useful tool to identify weaknesses in my drive. I'm sure you do this anyway, but what I would suggest to you is to practice yourself, everytime you go out for 15 mins or so. It seems a bit harsh to say that without using commentary that you would fail, I dont believe that is necessarily true. How do you feel your driving is going? Do you feel ready? Dont be afraid to postpone your test if you feel you need more practice. Good luck with it next week, just treat it as any other drive you would do with your trainer. The examiners do try to put you at ease, so be confident and get that pass.

Good luck again

Mark.

Part 1: Passed - 23/03/06 - 100/61
Part 2: Passed - 30/05/06 - 4m
Part 3: Booked - 27/09/06

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 14-06-06 16:56:46

JonnyG
Verified Member
Website

i was never taught commentary driving for part 2. i passed 2nd attempt with 3 minors and didnt once commentate on my driving in training or both tests. I find myself doing it now when im practicing for part 3. so it is a useful thing to be able to do.

#4 14-06-06 17:32:09

markA.d.I

Perhaps he thinks you are not starting you're MSPSL early enough, or maybe reading of signs and roadmarking ? only an idea.

I used commentry driving loads during training, and if you think outside the box ....... isn't it what you will be doing with pupils ?, along similar lines really !

I found it helped my forward planning no end (it was non existent before becoming an adi !), the forward planning skills you need are nothing compared to how far forward you will be spotting hazards and prompting pupils, its a good place to start !

Commentry driving helped me with part 3 big time, i use to clam up on training sessions,frightened of saying the wrong thing, so often didn't say anything, i got use to my own voice, and now there is no shutting me up on lessons, i end up with a really sore throat !

#5 14-06-06 19:25:00

evan

What Mark says is absolutely true,  you are going to need commentary driving as a major part of your teaching for pupils. So you might just as well get used to your voice in the car now.

The other point Mark makes about prompting yourself is also true, it alerts you to situations as they are developing on the move, as he so rightly says you need to be looking a lot further ahead with a pupil in the car.

I think your trainer is on the right track with you so I would go with it. If you feel a bit self-conscious practice in the car on your own, it's strange to start with, but you soon get used to it.

Remember many people don't get told about commentary drive on part 2, and have it sprung on them at the part 3 stage. Start now and it will come natural for you on part 3.

Also try it with your manoeuvres, talk yourself through what you are doing, this is exactly what you must do with your pupils.

Good luck and get used to hearing your voice. Ev

#6 14-06-06 21:54:25

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

I allways fealt self concious doing a commentry when training for part 2, but it does work smile start by just picking out the road signs and then build on that, I don't think you need to do it out loud on the test but even if you commentate "in your head" it keeps you focused on the drive. As the others have said it gets you used to the sound of your own voice and soon you will be chatting away without even thinking about it............Now I tend to use it when route planning, picking out the things to Q and A the pupils on - talking myself through "new" junctions etc. Good luck with it anyway big_smile
Alex

#7 14-06-06 22:00:23

Michael (in Croydon)
Verified Member

I agree with Mark and Evan
go for some short drives to practice you commentary. imagine that you are and ADI now and that you are demonstrating you driving to your pupil.  this will also help you for your part 3.

You can tell a horse to drink a thousand times, but all you really need to do is help him realise he’s thirsty. (Coaching)"

Board footer