You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-06-06 22:20:55

jonks

AA Instructor training (nationwide)

AA Instructor training (nationwide)

http://www.theaa.com/drivingschool/howt … uctor.html  Tel: 0800 587 0086

If you are training or have trained in the past with this company, please tell us your opinions of the training and service you received.

Please br responsible about what you post. If you had a bad experience then by all means tell us what happened, but do so responsibly. This section is not about defaming any company.

The opinions below do not represent the opinions of Driver Training Today.

13-06-06 22:20:55

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: AA Instructor training (nationwide)

#2 15-10-06 19:37:44

DaveA

I'm not signed up with the AA but I was considering them along side the other obvious options. What I found very quickly is:

- They are reluctant to put anything in writing. A promised e-mail detailing the current costs never arrived.
-They flat refused to provide a sample copy of the franchise agreement; "There's no point because by the time you pass it will have changed". My main question (Will I be tied to the AA for pupils?) was answered on the phone but when I asked for this to be confirmed in writing before I consider committing to training, I was told; "You don't need it in writing, you can take it from me".
- The written brochure took ages to arrive.

Now that I have read the brochure it looks to me like the part 2 and 3 training is carried out by AA Driving Instructors rather than Trainers. I could be wrong of course but it's not what I expected.

#3 15-10-06 21:51:01

keith williams
Verified Member

Sorry to hear about that experience Dave, surprised about them not sending out a copy of the franchise agreement. I always keep a few in the car to show instructors if they ask.

The training is definitely carried out by trainers rather than any ol' instructor. They have a very good training course for their trainers which I sat in September.

Maybe you just came across the wrong person in the call centre?

#4 04-12-06 16:33:03

Izzy
Verified Member

I am currently training with the AA. I paid about £2750 ish, i do now feel that part 1 was so over priced it was like robbery, i feel that they can charge that much becuase a trainee PDI has no idea at the time what part 1 is like, that they think because it costs so much it must be hard! but as we all now know it is not that hard.
as for part 2 training i did get the full hrs in car 1 to 1 training which is a must and past part 2 on my 2nd attempt( thank god i didn't use up all my part 2 hrs). because if you fail and you have used up your hrs,you will have to pay per hr for extra lessons and for the use of the AA car for another test.This i felt is very unfair.
i am currently doing the training for the part 3, all you get is 1 book from the AA and thats it. the rest is made up of 33 hrs in car with your tutor, all you do is he tells you what pst's to learn for the next lesson ,then you go off home and try and plan a brief, not knowing how to give a brief i feel thet this part of the training could be much much better.

part 1; passed 98%, May 06
part 2:passed 4 minors, Sep 06
part 3: who knows ??

#5 21-12-06 10:28:45

marconi1
Verified Member
Website

Unfortunatly the trainer course is about as much use as a choclate fire guard, I sat it too and I have heard that they are using instructors with less than 1 years experience as trainers too. some with only 3 months I believe and not even done thier first check test.

It really is shocking that a company with such a strong name can go at something so essential and get it so wrong.

Dave Foster MA, Dip.DI
F.inst.D.E.R, M.Inst.MTD, M.A.I.R.O, A.I.F.L,
Foster the Joy of Driving
http://dte-elite.co.uk  http://drivertrainingeducation.co.uk

#6 12-01-07 18:42:42

hector
Verified Member
Website

I was going to put a post about AA 'Instructor training' no need to bother just copy Dave's above

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#7 12-01-07 18:49:41

Evan

part 3, all you get is 1 book from the AA and thats it. the rest is made up of 33 hrs in car with your tutor, all you do is he tells you what pst's to learn for the next lesson ,then you go off home and try and plan a brief, not knowing how to give a brief i feel thet this part of the training could be much much better.

The phrase the Blind leading the Blind springs to mind, and charging people handsomely for the experience.

Interesting when you consider that one of the slogans states We Only Use Qualified Instructors. I wonder who trains THEM.

Let's hope they don't branch out into teaching electricians or there will be a lot of people with curly perms in the future  ;D Ev

#8 13-01-07 08:43:39

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I will say this much though-a lot of other training establishments are not much better when it comes to their use of trainers. Also unlike a lot of big name companies you get 1 to 1 training. I dont like the fact that you dont get any addititional for  included in the price and also that they dont give you enough hours to go on a pink. AA have to get their fingers out their backsides with this one there is no doubt.

Just out of interest what do bsm offer inclusive in their price?

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 13-01-07 16:32:45

Evan

i am currently doing the training for the part 3, all you get is 1 book from the AA and thats it. the rest is made up of 33 hrs in car with your tutor, all you do is he tells you what pst's to learn for the next lesson ,then you go off home and try and plan a brief, not knowing how to give a brief i feel thet this part of the training could be much much better.

That is not training. I know others do things the same way however that is hardly what you call a training session. Others may not agree but if we were to try the same thing with a pupil it wouldn't work.

A trainer should train you how to teach people to drive, not send you off, telling you to construct something you know nothing about. To be honest my view on it is it's a lazy way to make money, and a lot of money at that.

You can fire bullets at me now if you like, but you are paying for expertise and expert tuition, not being told to go off and do it all on your own. I know how the system works first hand, that's why I got some training elsewhere.

If you really are interested as to why the pass rate is so low for part 3 tests you would do well by starting with this fiasco. Ev

#10 13-01-07 16:38:17

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

Like ev says, it doesn't sound good, unless there is a lot more to it than has been said. A good trainer will go into a hell of a lot more than that before you even start to rehearse for the part 3.

#11 13-01-07 16:42:55

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

admitedly dit is much the same in some ways you dont get many books to practice for part 3 but you get a load of classroom time before each session going over what u need for next lesson and about romps and everything. A half day in classroom-followed by a half day out on the road. Butby sounds of that you dont even get that.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#12 14-01-07 07:40:43

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

The AA have just jumped on to the gravy train, simple as that.

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#13 26-03-07 13:03:45

weemann
Verified Member
Website

I did my Part 1 & 2 through the AA then did the part 3 direct with my trainer (offered me the full 40 hours rather than the 32(?) the AA were offering.  I notice that since they took my money for the part 1 & 2 they haven't been in touch once to see how I'm doing or see whether I need to get set for my part 3 training (too late now though!).

As they don't take on Trainee Instructors I'm starting out with the BSM for my pink licence.

If Simon Mann did not exist, you would have to make him up. The Times, Tues Jun 17, 2008

#14 16-05-07 17:09:57

Penny
Verified Member

I've just done my part 1 and 2 with the AA, I am not impressed with the training and support I received for the ridiculous amount of money they charged me. Since passing my part 2 the only contact I've had with them was when I phoned them to ask about the franchise, details were very sketchy and they were more interested in getting me to part with more money for the part 3 with them.
After reading posts on here and talking to other driving schools I have decided to do part 3 with a local independent school where I can also take out a pink licence.

#15 17-05-07 21:59:27

Target
Verified Member
Website

Having been there I could see all this coming, way back 14 months ago when they changed the franchise deal around. It suddenly become more attractive to sell training and hopefully pick up a few Adis through the system.

Sadly the instructors are left with very little after the AA have taken their cut. In some cases only £22 per hour. Now if your teaching Pdis to do the job properly you need to be charging a far amount to achieve the goals for yourself and the customer.

Have your instructors not offered for you to sit in on lessons?. Have they not offered for you to train using existing pupils? There are alot more options than just franchise fodder. Do the AA run a buddy system, allowing others to network.... ( better not have that or your all go somewhere else ).

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#16 03-05-08 16:43:45

Mat_Leeke
Verified Member
Website

I'm currently undergoing training with the AA and I am extremely impressed so far, after completing parts 1 and 2. Part 1 little actual training was given but I was extremely impressed with the selection of books and cd roms supplied and my instructors contact to see how I was getting on. Part 2 was equally as good. He got me passed in just 6 hours of training! The hours you buy now roll over so I now have 44 hours left for my part 3 training and he has paired me up with another part 3 trainee at my level so that after we've done some training can go away and practice together as well.

Contrary to most of the other replies, so far i'm extremely impressed. I will let you know if this changes at all during part 3 however

DSA Approved Driving Instructor (car)

www.adi-mat.com

#17 07-05-08 21:46:08

ExAdiNigel

The AA have revamped the training packages for Theory, Driving & Instructing.  There is a lot of overlap accross the modules too.

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

#18 08-05-08 18:00:59

hector
Verified Member
Website

Tevez has taken over!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#19 08-05-08 21:44:59

Dux
Verified Member
Website

That avatar's a little previous isn't it Hector?

Part 1 Passed April 07

Part 2 Passed June 07 3 Minors

Part 3 Delayed Success 05/12/07    3-3

Part 3 Passed 20/02/08      5-5

Diamond Advanced Driver 03/06/08

www.polepositiondrivertraining.co.uk

#20 08-05-08 21:52:12

hector
Verified Member
Website

Should the unthinkable happen Yes  :cry: :cry: :cry:

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 

#21 19-08-08 22:33:35

pdw1977
Website

I have been training with the AA and have been nothing but pleased with how its all gone. I met my instructor, we had a chat where he ran me through the whole process. He then went on to say that he didn't want to waste any of the hours I have paid for on the part 1 UNLESS I wanted him to, and he was always on the end of the phone should I have a query. He then told me what the AA allocated him in hours for part 1, 2 and 3 of my training. He wanted to role over the hours supposed to be for part 1 onto part 2/3 which I thought seemed a good idea, after all, to pass the part 1 you only need the AA disk that has all the theory questions on it plus a load of HP samples. This to me seemed like a very honest approach. I know what hours i'm owed (i checked).

Once I had passed part 1, it was straight into part 2. Again, he said that he would only use the hours he deemed I needed to be ready to pass the part 2. Again this worked out fine, and I passed my part 2 first time on the 5th August 2008.

So now onto part 3. I met up with him Yesterday (18-08-08) to go over the training needed etc and he told me that I have 46 hours to use up on my part 3!

I feel very confident in my trainer, and so far everything has worked out great. He has recommened that I use up all the hours I have on the part 3 as 1, I've paid for them and 2, part 3 is the hardest test and with all the hours I have I stand a great chance of passing.

this is just my experience. Perhaps I have just got lucky. I did have an interview arranged with the instructor college before going with the AA, but the guy never showed up! the job centre were the interview was to take place were not happy, neither was I! But i now think it may have been a blessing in diguise.

To sum up, my experience with the AA has been superb, and based on how my training has gone, would not hesitate in recommending them to anyone smile

Thanks for reading

Paul

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

#22 21-08-08 06:25:37

timmanwaringadi
Verified Member
Website

pdw - good stuff, 46 hours for part three should just about get you there, but don't think you've got loads to spare.

Many ADI trainers recommend around 60 hours to cover part 3 training properly.

Could I ask how many hours training you are allocated and how much it cost?

#23 30-08-08 16:18:35

Griffo

Sounds like the AA are treating you well there pdw! I've been looking at learning with them too, seems like times have changed since the AA had their revamp. Something to consider I think.

#24 31-08-08 21:27:34

pdw1977
Website

They seem to be treating me well. But I have nothing to compare it to I suppose.

I think my total allocated hours with my trainer was 65/70. The total cost to me was £2644. That gave me all the books etc.,and a nice little satchel with AA Driving School written on it. My wife always laughs at me when I go off to my lessons!!

I think the reason I have been so lucky is the fact that my trainer is a top bloke!! nothing is too much trouble. I can email him draft briefings etc before lessons as he says he would rather concentrate on the instructional teaching when its on his time (that i've paid for), as oppose to things that I can do at home. I can't complain at all smile

I would give his name, but for all I know he could be reading this forum and I would hate to give him a big head!! big_smile

Still a Newbie so be nice!!

www.pwdriving.com

#25 30-09-08 16:27:45

mcculde
Verified Member

Have just scrolled down to view the comments on the AA. As one of there DIT team who has been an ADI for over 5 years and been congratulated on my standard of PDI attending the local centre in Southampton I take great exception to the comments especially from Excelsior training. All training companies have good and bad trainers and no matter how long your CV is and how many advanced courses you have done it doesn't make you out to be better than anyone else. So before you come on a forum like this bad mouthing another company remember that most trainers are sub contracted from the trainees local area and are not employed by the training organisation unlike what the excelsior team are.

Board footer