You are not logged in.

#51 08-10-06 16:30:32

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Re: The Instructor College (nationwide)

I've passed my part 2 four months ago so this isn't a problem for me. TIC are not consistent, seems it depends what college you attend!

Not impressed with their training on part 3 so won't be using their final 20 hours! Be using my own car for my final test, which is in november!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

08-10-06 16:30:32

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#52 10-10-06 09:18:29

JUDGE
Verified Member

Be using my own car for my final test, which is in november!

Same here..   Passed part 2 in my own car no problems..   will be doing the same for part 3.

Why worry about booking TIC cars when you know your own car so much better.

#53 10-10-06 12:35:17

captainhook
Verified Member
Website

I also trained with tic and i was not 100% happy at all times. But then i passed part 3 first time and i think it was down to their training. So i will forgive them for any little problems i encountered.

One thing i will say though is they should learn not to get too greedy. Sometimes getting a date for a session was hard and i had to work hard to get my training in in time. I think the 2-1 ratio was good personally coz it means you can see other peoples weaknesses and adress your own.

For intensive driving courses or weekly lessons from a driving school using the latest Audi A3 - covering the Slough and surrounding areas - visit www.go-pass-driving-school.co.uk

#54 19-10-06 19:52:09

luchell

I thought you had to pay upfront though for the training? In which case it isn't free as such, i worked out my part two training was OVER 100 pounds an hour, for those that got a 'free' slot which could be arranged if the pupil needed more or the trainer was available they got technically more value for money so to speak but not a free session. Good to hear you've got an extra slot though  smile smile

#55 20-10-06 10:54:30

russguilfoyle
Verified Member

at the moment i am waiting for my final attempt at part 2 and every time i have phoned tic for extra sessions i have been able to have them. perhaps i am lucky but there seems to be a lot of vacent training slots where i am. i have been out with 3 different trainers,( because i wanted to so that i could get the benifit of different peoples point of view). although all 3 have said that they feel i am more than ready i have still had  extra sessions when they are available as i dont think that you can have to much practice

#56 20-10-06 16:05:22

Evan

Of that 109 hours Dimmy, you will want at least 60 hrs for your part 3. It's whether you get it, and whether you get it when you need it that is important. Being in the car is fine, but you need as much practice in the instructors seat as you can get, it doesn't always work out that way. I hope it works out for you. Ev

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#57 20-10-06 20:37:49

Karenadi

Of that 109 hours Dimmy, you will want at least 60 hrs for your part 3. It's whether you get it, and whether you get it when you need it that is important. Being in the car is fine, but you need as much practice in the instructors seat as you can get, it doesn't always work out that way. I hope it works out for you. Ev

I found being in the car is v. useful even if you are in the back.  You can sit there and think: gosh that was good: I'd not of thought of doing/saying that OR you might be sitting there thinking crikey: why don't you this or why don't you that.  At least it's better than sitting at home wondering about it all.  And I have to say, I had some of the biggest laughs of my life on pt3 training in the car.  I loved every minute of it.

#58 22-10-06 13:56:21

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Hi Karen, we had to laugh or we would have cried!!!! (just kiddin)

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#59 22-10-06 14:18:34

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

I wouldn't say that it wasn't useful sitting in on the training but its one thing sitting in the back & thinking about whats good & whats bad, then actually putting it into practice!!!

I had a few laughs on my part 3 training but unfortunately I didn't feel that I benefited much out of their training, probably because I felt it was all too rushed. I went away quite confused & couldn't even practice what I'd been taught as I didn't fully understand it!!

Having said that, I don't think that TIC's performance is down to their trainers, who I found helpfull, its just the fact that they're on such a tight schedule, they can't afford to tailor the training to anyone thats struggling!!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#60 22-10-06 15:11:57

Evan

No the trainers in your college are actually very good (the ones I know llthomas), you have highlighted the problem with what you have said about tight schedules etc.
Which is why I personally feel pay as you go with a good independent instructor is far better then going in a group.
I know others feel differently about this, but what you have said in your post is true of quite a few PDI's I have spoken to, with regards to feeling as if they didn't understand things at the end of the course, and certainly not ready for a part 3 attempt.
This then leaves PDI's either trying to work it out for themselves, or enlisting the help of a GOOD INDEPENDENT TRAINER, who then brings the whole package together and aids their understanding.
I can only impress upon people again, that there will not be enough experience and training for you to go for a part 3 test, at the end of the week's in car training. More work will have to be done, how you do it is up to you all. Ev

#61 22-10-06 15:35:19

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Definitely I was no where near ready for an attempt when I finished my week's training which is a shame. I couldn't even go home & try to work at it because I genuinely struggled, especially with phase 1.

If I had to do it all again, I would definitely go Pay as you go, not just down to the money as at the end of the day being 22, this is an investment in my future, but you need the course to be tailored around YOUR strengths & weaknesses, not someone else's!!!!

I've been lucky to find an independent trainer that has helped me no end (or at least I hope he has, I'll let you know after my 1st attempt in november!!!). Other people in my situation might not be so lucky, after all not everyone can afford to pay out again after paying for your training once!!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#62 13-01-07 19:32:25

Rockin
Verified Member

I found Part 1 ok (on my own largely but with one day a week in the classroom. Part two again a little patchy with some classroom going through the briefings and ok. Part 3 I thought was poor. As discribed in the original posting there was not enough one on one and I struggled twice on tge part three. When I went on pink and employed an instructor (also a cousin) i got through at the 3rd attempt. This was four years ago and still feel that without the extra help of another instructor I would not have got through part 3.
So to recap Part one ok Part two just adiquate, Part three very poor. This was not the fault of the the instructors at the college however but of the training system,

#63 13-01-07 19:54:40

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I learned with TIC. I can't complain about the service I got from them.  They offer 40 hours initially for part 3 but if you ring up and ask for extra days in car, they will usually fit you in somewere.

2 pups to 1 instructor isn't necessaraly a bad thing.  after an hour in the hot seat your haed if full anyway.  You then sit back and are able to see where the other pup is going wrong.  It seems so obvious when you are sat in the back!

I do think they are over selling it now though.  They are painting a very rosey picture of life once you have finished training.  They don't mention that you could come out the other side of this and not acually pass.
Of course there is the little matter of £600 per week which I ain't getting.

Give yourself independenc, learn to drive!
www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

I see friends shaking hands, saying
"how do you do". 
They're really saying
"I love you" (Louie Armstrong)

#64 13-01-07 23:19:17

Karenadi

Well give the Instructor College a ring 'cos they guarantee you a job: and the ad suggests they are offering £30k. I thought about it.  Still waiting for someone to find something to sue them for: it's coming........

#65 14-01-07 06:12:24

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Their TV advert still annoys me, no ADI license in the windscreen and no instructor mirror, they truly are special trainers if they have eyes in the back of there heads, probably why they at=re allowed to earn without a license!!
It a typical case of poor attention to detail by directors who have either foregotten what the job is all about or directors who have never been in the job.
But why should they care when their are hundreds of gullible would be driving instructors with 3k burning a hole in their wallets?

#66 14-01-07 09:06:22

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

No such thing as a free assessment drive if the `passenger` was getting paid for sitting there assessing.
But I take your point, my point beingthat is typical of the attention to detail or rather the lack of it,  consistant throughout their training. And I suspect many if not all the major training companies who's main concern is profit and not the quality of driving instruction.

#67 14-01-07 09:09:42

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

Incidental could someone enlighten me, did I imagine it or was there a case a few months ago when the trading standards decreed that the newspaper ads must state that training is involved?

#68 14-01-07 17:59:34

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

The adds say "No qualifications needed" ( except for drivers licence for 3.5 years) There should be an aptitude test at the start, to see if you really can train for this job.  The only reason there is no need for qualifications is because there is no risk of loosing anything on the part of TIC.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#69 14-01-07 18:01:04

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

My own figures for my 1st week on a pink is Gross £560 which

Is any of this block bookings which will have to last over the next few weeks?

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#70 14-01-07 18:43:05

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

Be careful of the weeks where you have most of the lessons paid for in advance and you've not much money comming in.  It's easy to look at your bank acount somtimes an think you are doing a lot better than you are. (Please accept you as meaning we)

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#71 14-01-07 18:58:24

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

starting well then.  Good luck.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

#72 14-01-07 19:00:29

kev elliott

[ They advertise and I have signed an agreement for a guaranteed job placement ONCE FULLY QUALIFIED.  Which I am not, having not yet taken part 3.

Dimmy, Just a question for you the agreement you have signed is with who? - The reason I ask is are they going to place you with a driving school of your choosing or of their own choice, also if the "job placement" is as a franchasiee then all  they have effectivly acted as is an introduction agency. If this appears as if I am negative towards the TIC I am not, if the agreement you have signed is right for you, and only you can decide that, then that is fine. The only concern I would have having read the TIC website is that they are an instructor training organisation if you think that your contract is with them make sure you go throught the small print to confirm that this is indeed the case. Lets Drive who I trained with, had a similar claim, when I looked at the very small print it revealed that as I suspected the agreement was only an offer to act as an introduction party or the offer of a franchise with them. 

#73 14-01-07 20:33:10

kev elliott

same package as with lets drivee Dimmy, suited me sounds to suit you

#74 14-01-07 21:43:30

ams
Verified Member

Did the residential option down at the HQ in Brighton back in March 2001. Had a fantastic trainer for the 2 weeks and came away with the knowledge of what I needed to acheive and how to go about realising my aim. On my return to home (then in Devon) I took Part 1 and passed 1st time in the April. Part 2 was done at Bristol in May, also 1st attempt, following a final extra assessment at the Bristol college. I then set out on a trainee licence based with BSM in Peterborough. Attended Peterborough TIC for validation of my TL and in the October took and passed Part 3 at Lincoln, also 1st Atempt. I felt that the training I receieved was excellent and found all of the trainers I came into contact with, at three different colleges, entirely professional and very supportive.

After two years "on the road" teaching learners, I was invited back to the Peterborough college for an interview and was offered a position at that college as an ADI Trainer. have now worked for the company for almost 3 1/2 years

Qualified Oct 2001 - 1st Attempt 5/4.
Cardington Grade A.
Institute of Advanced Motorists.
NVQ A1 Assessors Award.
ORDIT registered parts 1, 2 & 3.
Grade 6 - April 07

#75 14-01-07 21:56:10

comedrivewithme
Verified Member
Website

I've certainly got no gripes with the trainers either.  I found them Professional, approachable and very interested in the job they were doing.  Whenever extra training was asked for, it was always given.  It's just that the industry can only support so many instructors.  There must come a point where instructor training needs to be scaled down a bit.

www.Comedrivewithme.com
    Treorchy, Rhondda.

"how do you do". 
They're really saying

Board footer