You are not logged in.

#26 20-08-06 23:49:35

Jellybean
Verified Member

Re: The Instructor College (nationwide)

I trained with TIC and out of my 40 hours - 20 hours was classroom based.  (Somewhat useful) Therefore I still have 20 hours left.  Over 6 days - 20 mins to arrive at area, yes time was used as a fault finding exercise but not that useful.  30 minutes to get back.  Coffee stop - another 30 minutes.  We have now used up 1 1/4 hours of 4 hours. That leaves 2 3/4 hours in car training for part 3.  Whoops I forgot the important bit, you have to divide that by 2 as there are two of you in the car.  That gives you about 1 hour 20 minutes per session X 6 days.  That means my 40 hours training became approximately 7 useful hours sat in the passenger seat.

I am not saying none of the other time used was unhelpful.  Yes the classroom was useful - discussions, feedback etc but 20 hours - did not really need that much.  Watching someone else was also useful, but when you only really get one attempt at teaching a particular subject - is that enough.  Was that worth £2500.

You can try to get more out of them but the trainers are working round a system intended to make money, they might let you have a car to practice in but only if its not in use and that might not be a good time for you.  You have to fit round them.  My mistake was being 40 miles away.  That made it an 80 mile round trip and sometimes a total of 4 hours driving.  Now I made that choice at the time, it was the wrong one but I knew very little really.  If I had known about the forum and what everyone says about the big schools I would never have gone with them. 

But you live and learn.

Jellybean big_smile

20-08-06 23:49:35

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

#27 21-08-06 05:35:44

hector
Verified Member
Website

In no way does the twenty hours tuition with tic, prepare ANYBODY to instruct particulary on a trainee licence.
And it is scandelous this is allowed to happen.
In no way is this twenty hours enough preperation for a part 3, and even with another 10 hours after being on a trainee nowhere near enough.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#28 21-08-06 07:38:58

Evan

Ev,  I really hate to split hairs , and hope this doesn't come across as such  but  I don't believe the DSA gives any recommended timescale for learner drivers.

Point taken Dimmy, yes you are of course right the DSA  give the 40 hours as an average.

I was using this simply as a comparable with what is advertised for instructor training. If you were to use this estimation ie: a pupil attends (attends being the operative word here) 40 hours of tuition, but actually spends 20 of those hours in the back of the car, minus as Jellybean says coffee breaks etc, then a more realistic overview is reached.

I also fully agree with Hector, the training is seldom sufficient to go on a trainee licence. I have said before, I supplemented my training with an independent instructor, coupled with lots of practice sessions with a buddy. I still feel many turn to the trainee licence, to supplement what hasn't been learned on the course, then try and gain the extra experience by working with real pupils. A case of I need to learn more about this job, before I could ever attempt a part 3, so I will basically teach myself.

Ev

#29 21-08-06 08:32:33

Jellybean
Verified Member

I have decided not to go back for my 20 hours to TIC.  I have paid extra and will do it with a local trainer.  I worked out with the travelling, petrol and time lost, plus the fact it would be unlikely to be useful that it was cheaper to pay again.  It also meant a complete day out f my life for half a day training.  When I could actually be teaching as well.  Note the teaching not earning.  Although the money is nice I am not the main wage earner and my income isn't a necessity, I only worked part time previously and gave that up to go on a pink. big_smile

Jellybean

#30 21-08-06 17:01:01

sw
Verified Member

I think many PDI's do their part 3 '40 hours' and then think I need to teach to get some experience, I know I did, and so go on a trainee licence. In fact it's not teaching experience that most of us need it's more training in the first place to do a half decent job at the teaching.  When I started it quickly became apparent that i didn't know enough to teach to a decent enough standard and so gave the trainee licence up and used the money that I was losing every week in subsidising the franchise to have some decent training instead, 1 to 1 working on MY weaknesses and not what the training provider says we will be covering.

I was close to packing the whole thing in until I met with a couple of other trainers and it's only been since then that my confidence has come back as they've trained me in different skills an ADI needs not just sitting there practising PSTs with a bit of core comps thrown in. 2 months ago I couldn't have cared less if I passed part 3 or not, but now I do and TIC have had nothing to do with my training since. Strange that.

Ive got to go for another '5 hours' training with them due to my part 3 test fail but i'm only going so that if the worse happens and I have to go round again I can have part 2 sessions without having to pay again, not because I think their part 3 training is much good.

#31 21-08-06 18:27:35

hector
Verified Member
Website

All the previous three posts spell out how things really are.
Its a credit to all three of you to be so honest .
It's a real scandal so many people fall into the trap of promised  guaranteed quality training, never to receive it, having parted with thousands in hard earned cash.

Hopefully the good news is that this and other forums are preventing people doing the same in the future.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#32 22-08-06 15:35:52

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

I reckon I have directed about 12 people to this forum who are thinking about becoming driving instructors, mainly because the above posts support what I have told them and so proves I am not just `bad mouthing` the competition, not that TIC is competition just a pain in the a**e!!

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#33 03-09-06 19:03:19

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

I know EXACTLY how you ALL feel. Parts 1 + 2 are pretty much what you put into it, although getting appointments for the sessions seemed to be a mission in itself, the idea of being qualified in 6 months, definitely NOT true!Dropping my hours down in my current job to get the course done as quickly as possible was DEFINETLY a mistake as they don't seem to fit you in any quicker.

Part 3, to be honest was shocking. The idea of 40 hours training + then been able to 'teach' couldn't have been further from the truth. This isn't to say that the trainers aren't great because they are, but at the end of the day TIC are a business, there to make as much money as you can. I left my 40 hours in the college feeling totally dis-heartened.

After going for an interview with a local driving school for my pink licence + being 'advised' to take extra training I began to wonder after spending so much money, whether I'd ever be able to pass my part 3.

Taking up the advice I've found myself another instructor and after already spending 3 grand with TIC I'm now having to pay out another 400 pound. BUT he's great! He's slowly building back my confidence and after just 8 hours training with him I'm starting to feel that there's light at the end of my TIC nightmare!

He's simplified things down so that they're much easier to understand, after all if I didn't fully understand it how would a learner?!I've got 20 hours training left with TIC but I don't think I'm going to bother because after what I've read hear, they're only going over old ground!

To anybody seriously considering going with TIC, please, please, please think twice - from someone who's learnt the hard way (and the expensive way)

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...1. 4/3, so close but not close enough
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#34 21-09-06 19:03:14

Evan

Update:  passed  part 1 today so called TIC to inform them of result. The call was answered by a North London Branch of TIC and I was informed calls were temporarily diverted but I will be called back later today.
Rightly enough  Martin from Leyton called and congratulated me on my result.  1st possible booking to start part 2 training was Thursday 5th Oct. After a little pressure from me, Martin also booked me in for 2 further sessions for the folowing 2 days too. All 3 sessions are half day bookings. Although I'm disappointed at yet further delay for starting the practical part  of my course  I was impressed with  Martin's attitude and helpfulness today and grateful for the other 2 bookings being so close together. Martin also promised me that if a cancellation occured b4 5th Oct  then they would offer me the time slot.  Lets see how that goes  <crosses fingers>  big_smile

Short summary: Still frustrated at the built in delays in training by TIC but impressed with  Martin at Leyton for trying to accomodate me.

Welcome to the world of TIC fit you in when they can. Funny thing is you never ever have a problem being interviewed for a training position with them when you have a cheque in your hand. I wonder why that is? Ev

#35 21-09-06 19:37:05

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

I think I have stated on here before that what must be remembered is the fact that TIC is a money making machine, the mere fact that their TV Ad shows a training car with no instructor mirror or ADI licence demonstrates that their attention to detail is none existent, so why expect the directors to show any care towards their `customers`.
It was and always will be a `sausage factory` Suck em in, take 3 grand off em and blow em out`.
Result, loads of new instructors who have little chice than to try to recoup their training fees, usually with great difficulty unless they chop established instructors rates.

Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes guys but facts are facts, if only every person thinking about joining this profession knew about this forum!!

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#36 22-09-06 07:47:46

MiniClassic
Verified Member

That  implies that loads of their students pass, to the detriment of existing Instructors.

We all know the DSA pass rates, and just how low those are, so if TIC are producing instructors, something has to be said for their methods?

Again, I've had no dealings with them apart from the sham 'test drive' when I thought about using them, but from reading somewhere here (& with apologies for repeating) they put all passes through their books even when the PDI has had extra tuition from any other source.

This practice will continue to give them better figures than they deserve.

Ambition Driving College

#37 22-09-06 15:09:34

sw
Verified Member

It seems that many of us part 3 TIC trainees who are really commited to making a go of this career change pay for extra training to get that green badge. I know that sometimes TIC say they'll pay for your first green badge (£200) as a sweetner to get you to sign up with them, knowing that they probably won't have to pay out too many £200s.

In my case I don't have this luxury and so when that green badge is achieved I don't really have much of an incentive to tell them that I passed and to add my statistic to their pass rate.

Is this the wrong attitude to have?

#38 24-09-06 19:33:15

Karenadi

I trained at TIC courtesy of CarlatPUK: passed everything 1st time and loved every minute. Still doing great: just gone up a grade on check test: (thanks to pm advice from same source): Votes for Carl going back and running the establishment............

#39 27-09-06 10:14:26

den676
Verified Member

Sorry if it sounds like sour grapes guys but facts are facts, if only every person thinking about joining this profession knew about this forum!!

Mmmm wish I knew about it!

We all know the DSA pass rates, and just how low those are, so if TIC are producing instructors, something has to be said for their methods?

Yes but it could be that most of them take extra lessons. I did my 40 hours with a sausage factory and didn't even cover all the PST's, a lot of it was 2 to 1. I got a 3/4 purely 'cos of this forum and other websites. I'm thinking of going for some additional training when I can afford it.

#40 27-09-06 12:40:31

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Agree defo with what you're saying. Trained(if thats what you call it!) with TIC and am know getting extra training, at an extra cost of course elsewhere. Although I am in no doubt that when I pass, TIC will count me on their pass list which is what bumps their pass rate up, without a doubt! :evil:

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#41 01-10-06 21:27:18

Karenadi

Hi Karenadi

Well done, many people on here only seemed to have passed with TIC after having extra training from another organisation or by going on a trainee licence.

I did go on a trainee licence, but only for 6 weeks.  That was actually against the advice of the college, but I feel that I did benefit from it, simply because I couldn't take the role play thing seriously. But  I didn't have any extra training.  It was some 6 years ago now, the training team were a great crowd: and they were consistent in the advice they offered.  Every time I wanted an extra session I got one: I had as much training as I wanted and it didn't cost me a penny extra.

I feel that TIC may not work on the same basis any more: maybe because they are taking on more work than they can handle.  So whose downfall is that?  Clearly it has to be the customer: because the college is thriving.

#42 03-10-06 20:23:53

sw
Verified Member

I notice that TIC have an ad on this site, they're brave.

#43 03-10-06 20:26:26

russguilfoyle
Verified Member

skin as thick as a rhino's (cant spell rhinoserus) thats tic

#44 08-10-06 11:03:40

luchell

Is one of those the same trainer that told you and all the trainees they MUST kick the abs in when doing the emergency stop or they are not braking heavily enough? neutral

#45 08-10-06 14:53:52

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Are you paying extra to use the car on your test? We were told that we would have to pay extra to use the car on our part 2 test!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#46 08-10-06 15:05:35

Evan

Why are you having to pay extra to use a facility that you paid for, that is diabolical. I didn't know that was the case, why are people advertising Instructor training then not fulfilling the contract.

Absolutely disgusting, and disgraceful. Priority should be the use of the car for a persons test, that is what they have PAID for is IT NOT?

I get more surprises every week when I hear how PDI's are treated. Ev

#47 08-10-06 15:30:08

llthomas21
Verified Member
Website

Bridgend college! The fact that only one car out on test at any particular time, unless you have booked the car well in advance could mean that you're ready for your test but have no car to do it in!

Part 1...100% 63/75
Part 2...3 minors
Part 3...2. 4/4 Yippee

#48 08-10-06 15:31:35

luchell

I would check on that Dimmy, we have seen a lot of trainees on here mentioning a car was NOT available for the test at all even though the website said it was and they were told it wouldn't be a problem. They then had to find an alternative car for the test  neutral

#49 08-10-06 15:33:30

Evan

Bridgend college! The fact that only one car out on test at any particular time, unless you have booked the car well in advance could mean that you're ready for your test but have no car to do it in!

This person speaks the truth, and I endorse what she is saying. Tis a disgusting fact that there are those PDI's who are so badly let down. Ev

#50 08-10-06 15:45:26

luchell

I just said that Dimmy, what it says in the literature and what is being done can be two different things  neutral We have had people on here before quoting what they should have had and what they actually had instead. Hopefully you will get no problems but it is a fact that many others have had problems with having a car for test including the part three test where people have had to come here and get advice as to where to get one days worth of insurance to insure the car they had then short term leased/hired for part two and three  sad

Board footer