You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-06-06 21:53:44

jonks

The Instructor College (nationwide)

The Instructor College (nationwide)

http://www.theinstructorcollege.co.uk  Tel: 0845 1304035

If you are training or have trained in the past with this company, please tell us your opinions of the training and service you received.

Please br responsible about what you post. If you had a bad experience then by all means tell us what happened, but do so responsibly. This section is not about defaming any company.

The opinions below do not represent the opinions of Driver Training Today.

13-06-06 21:53:44

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: The Instructor College (nationwide)

#2 13-06-06 22:56:18

evan

I trained with TIC.

I joined about 18 to 20 other people, for an informal discussion about what was involved with the training etc. The three tests were described, and they also outlined the fact that if you failed the latter two you would have to wait 2 years to try them again.

I went through the training fairly quickly, didn't find the training for Part 1 or 2 bad. (Part 1 you learn on your own anyway.)

Part 2 wasn't too bad, I did a lot of practicing on my own, and I think what I received was adequate.

Part 3 was different, the description of having 40 hours training did not add up as it was all 2-1 instructor training. I felt at the end of each days session that there were things I needed to go over, but the following days schedule had already been decided, so it was really a case of one go at something, then someone else jumps into the hot seat then dinner, then the next phase and so on.

After my 40 hours, I did feel there was a lot of things I still needed to cover, and also answers I needed about certain aspects of the PST'S. I decided get help from an independent Instructor, I also went on a pink licence and did a massive amount of practice hours learning PST's and developing a teaching style.

I wouldn't say the Trainers in the college were any better or worse than any other training organisation. I certainly found the trainer I had in the College for Part 3 was very good. My criticism is of the scheduled learning time. Also the availability of slots for training.

I found it very productive having a 1-1 with an independent trainer, is as much as it helped me to structure my lessons.

I think whichever organisation people choose to go with, they must prepare themselves for a lot of self disciplined solo learning, as well as a determination to achieve your goal.
To pass the tests, you have to work hard VERY hard and keep on working. I think this is the same wherever you train in this industry. Ev

#3 14-06-06 21:58:53

christab11
Verified Member

I also trained with the Instructor College and would second everything that Evan has written.
The main thing that really got me was that of the 40 hours training I had only 6 hours was spent actually learning to instruct, the mornings was spent in the class room compiling briefings and the rest either at lunch or in the back of a car while someone else learnt to instruct.
I felt the time spent in the classroom should have been spent in the car and we should have done the briefings at home.
I also went on a pink and for 10 weeks before passing part 3 at the second attempt, I felt I achieved this because of the help I had extra from the training instructor from red, who sponsored me for m pink license.
The instructors at the College were also good but I feel if I had spent more time learning to instruct I would have passed my part 3 1st go.
I would also agree very much with Evan about being self disciplined and putting in a lot of work and preparation at home, if you sit back and wait for everything to be handed to you on a plate then you won’t be learning much so it doesn't matter who you train with be prepared to put in a lot of hours and a lot of hard work.
Good luck

Progress so far:
Part 1: Passed.  9/12/05
Part 2: passed. 12/01/06
Part 3: Passed. 7/6/06

#4 16-06-06 21:50:03

PiperIan
Verified Member
Website

I am also a 'graduate' of the Instructor College (Glasgow).  I remember attending their introductory talk and it all sounded so appealing between how much money I could earn and being my own boss.  I was told I would easily get through the tests providing I put in the effort.  I was also told there was a national shortage of driving instructors and there was plenty of work out there.  So much so that I would be guaranteed that they could find me a placement once I qualify.  I also received a guarantee that for my fee they would guarantee to keep training me until I passed.
It all sounded so easy and I parted there & then with my money.
Then the reality set in soon after I started my training.  It was not going to be an easy road and it was going to involve a lot of hard work.  Fortunately, I was brimming with enthusiasm and I gave the venture well over 100% effort which I am sure got me through it in the end.
Having said that, apart from their selling techniques, I cannot really fault the college (Speaking for Glasgow branch only).  I found that the level of training I received was excellent and all the instructors without exception were very professional, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in helping everyone get through the course.
All my dates went ahead when planned with the exception of one when the instructor went sick (forgivable).  The training was always on a 2:1 ratio and all their vehicles were fairly new and kept in good condition.
My only complaint was towards the end of the course when the company introduced a new call centre which took away the personal touch for me.  The Glasgow Instructors were always happy to speak to me on the phone if I had a query but the new system meant I was forced to speak to someone I didn't know in Englandshire.  That was of course if you had the patience to get past the robot voice asking to press 1 for this and press 2 for that etc etc.
All in all though, the good outweighed the bad and I feel I did receive good training from them which is what really matters.

I'll never forget Wotzizname !!!

#5 17-06-06 07:50:10

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I did not train with them so this may not count but I live and work in the Southampton area where TIC are based.

Since the TV advertising campaign started, in certain areas and times, TIC cars training instructors can outnumber other school cars training learners.

I have also spoken to a number of TIC trainers (current and ex) at the test centres. They have the same story - unhappy about the way things are going re number of people being sold courses Vs diary space available.

As a working ADI - I am very concerned about the impact this organisation is having on our industry.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#6 17-06-06 08:15:14

sparkle

I second everything Mr Bassman has mentioned. We also have LOTS of thier cars here ..and i mean LOTS yikes

Dont affect me...but is affecting manual adi's m sure of it sad

#7 17-06-06 16:33:48

Russ
Verified Member
Website

As mentioned traing pritty good till pt3.
I felt very let down 5 days not enough an extra 2 would be better.

AS i was in full time employment i had planned to try for green. but the bitter taste left after 40hrs i knew in my own mind i had to go pink to learn what i was being told, and to try with more experience at pt 3.

i too had too seek additional indepenant traing and passed 2nd try. The new call center line started just after i went pink and this further left that strange taste as the people you got tooknow wern't available to help. i gave up on them at that point, and wouldn't recomend them to any one.

Russ

#8 17-06-06 16:58:33

pj
Verified Member

I trained with these as well, but I would not give them the credit for making me an instructor. I learnt more in one day with the trainer Brian Stratton than I did in my 40hrs with them. Remember TIC is a business who are out to make a profit like any other company, but what annoys me is the fact that they will tell any tom, dick or harry that they will make a great instructor just to get their hands on your money. They forget to mention at the first interview that the pass rate for part 3 is very low and exactly how tough it is going to be, yes they will keep training you until you pass but I would love to know how many just give up, I know many in my group did. Would always recommend the pay as you go way of training, wish I had known about that when I decided to do this job.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#9 22-06-06 15:45:52

Dawn1967
Verified Member

2nd, 3rd and 4th, everything stated in previous posts.  Wish I had found this site before I made my decision - however, that said, I did go with TIC and am progressing towards my Part 2 test.  Am considering going to a private instructor to help with gaining my Part 3 which will hopefully back up the learning gained from the TIC.

Dawn

He Who Hingeth About - Gets Hee Haw!!

#10 22-06-06 22:02:04

Karenadi

TIC Birmingham: they were a great lot: no problems with any of the training: part III was on a 2 - 1 basis, and I always had my courses scheduled with a girl that was training at the same time: we got together outside and practiced and exchanged notes: had the time of my life and we both passed 5 - 5 first time within days of each other.

However, that was 6 years ago: can't vouch for how things might be now.

#11 23-06-06 06:24:58

pj
Verified Member

Like Karen I had a training buddy too at the same stage of training and we did all our training together at the college and outside, if we weren't at college we met up at least 3 days a week. Get yourself a buudy, you need it.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#12 23-06-06 15:42:34

catman
Verified Member

I "learned" with them and agree evan, christab11 and pj's comments.

Parts1 & 2 OK but part 3 bore no resemblance to what the DSA are expecting you to do.

Personal 1 to 1 trainer was needed before my eyes were really opened to the requirements of part 3.  I can't thank Fiona Skilbeck enough.

catman

Please use Everyclick.com as your regular search engine to help raise funds for the cat charity Haworth Animal Welfare.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#13 23-06-06 16:48:20

Macca
Verified Member

TIC Birmingham: they were a great lot: no problems with any of the training: part III was on a 2 - 1 basis, and I always had my courses scheduled with a girl that was training at the same time: we got together outside and practiced and exchanged notes: had the time of my life and we both passed 5 - 5 first time within days of each other.

However, that was 6 years ago: can't vouch for how things might be now.

Hi Karen

I wonder did you get more in-car training 6 years ago. To day some claim you get as little as 7 hours of actual practice being the driving instructor out of the 40 hours of training for part 3 (see quote below). A lot seems to be classroom training or watching someone else in the car. Is this how it was 6 years ago?

Oh I quite agree with you Evan.  I reckon on my 40 hours I got 7 sat in the instructors side of the car.  Now would the DSA agree this was my 40 hours training.  I have to say I did find the classroom sessions helpful and it had its uses having two people in the car.  But the 40 hours covered 6 days.  The mornings in the classroom and the afternoons in the car, coffee break, discussion, 2 PDI's equates to about an hour each.  Not enough, in fact it is scary that legally if I found a sponsor I could just go out and get paid to teach.  It was a farce really. :police:

Jellybean   big_smile

#14 23-06-06 17:06:56

Karenadi

Definately alot more actual training.  Thing is though: you are still learning watching someone else.  Had loads of extra sessions too: almost on demand in the lead up to the test.  Sometimes, on a one to one basis.

Don't know about the 40 hours, but the classroom stuff is important too: preparation: briefings: diagrams how to use them etc etc.  Basis of lessons.  I know that I didn't have any complaints at the time. 

#15 26-06-06 18:15:27

russguilfoyle
Verified Member

i am on part 2 with the instructor college, training was good until they closed my local office. now i have to travel 60 on a 60 mile round trip that adds approx 2 hrs to my training. it is on a 2:1 ratio with tea break. i have asked, and got, extra training if i felt i needed it but only after a fight. do agree with the comment of others that they are on;ly interested in profits. if i knew then what i know now i would definatly gone through the independent route ( i am thinking about extra 1:1 training to supplement the tic training. :x

#16 08-07-06 13:34:18

Target
Verified Member
Website

I trained with TIC. I chose TIC because basically there was no other options available. I never had access to the internet and local schools just do not advertise. B$M I would not touch after hearing so many bad stories about them when I was younger.

.............TIC were very organised. What attracted me was they would assist with my training until the end, even if I did not pass they would take me around again after the 2 years. The college was local and I liked the idea of learning with other potential instructors.

Part 1 ......Cannot fault this approach. In class time was good and the Mock Test papers helped alot. Passed first time after about 3 months home studying.

Part 2......Again TIC came to my aid by hiring a car. I never owned a car whilst training so used the TIC fleet car to practice. Whilst the few days in car was nowhere near enough I received alot of FREE training as I was always at the college, and fitted alot of gaps for no shows or cancellations. Pass 2 attempt about 6 months after the theory.

Part 3......Did not like the structure of the Part 3 training. You are stuck in the drivers seat with no clue how to deliver a lesson plan. I was clearly under the assumption that after 40 hours ( 2 weeks ) in car I'd be the best instructor around. Not the case. I was dejected and lost, not knowing which way to turn.

Personally I felt the structure of the courses were not interlinked. Whilst on Part 2 the instructors could deliver briefings, whilst on Part 3 I've always felt more is learnt from actually watching someone do it. On most occasions the instructors were reluctant to give demos, and often would not come out of role play, when clearly nothing was being learnt.

However.........The instructors are of the most qualified in the country and they are working within an institution that only sees £££££....They did an extremely good job based around the criterior they had to meet and the time available.

In saying this. I only wish TIC could have been more honest. I made decisions that effected my income and personal plans. I was told at the beginning of my induction you could pass within 6 months. I later turned down a job and lost alot of money from struggling to find part-time work.

I was under the impression Part 3 would prepare me for test, but I never budgeted for the additional training and time needed to practice.

Whilst I feel hard done by, the instructors gave me alot of support. Since this was the only option ( glad i never chose letsdrive ) I come out ok.

In summary: They offer a complete package and also now run Red Driving School. The instructors are trained and operate to high standards.

They need to work on quality rather than quantity and be more upfront and honest about whats included, they are not such a bad option considering you could get alot worse.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#17 09-07-06 10:35:23

CarlatPUK
Verified Member
Website

I was one of five trainers at Birmingham College from 1997 - 2000 and can vouch for the quality of training at that time for that college, (but then I would wouldn't I) Even before being interviewed grade 5 or 6 was required with at least one Advanced qualification, Cardington was also required and City & Guilds preferred.
We were registered to ORDIT and achieved NVQ D32.33.
We all trained together and made it our business to meet as many SE`s as possible and sit in on as many part 2 and 3 tests as possible if not then be present at the de briefs. All this helped us to keep up to date with what he DSA wanted from a PDI.

One reason for leaving TIC was the fact that they were taking on newly qualified instructors as trainers, (one had not even been graded) and I, like my colleagues, didn't agree with the way they were `recruiting` it had become, in the words of one SE ADI `a sausage factory`.

A large percentage of my ADI training is for TIC customers who for various reasons find themselves in need of extra training, all with the same complaints. to be fair this applies to other outfits including BSM and Lets Drive and others less well known.

Incidentally the Instructor college TV ad demonstrates their lack of attention to professionalism, Check out the car featured, no second mirror or ADI licence. That speaks volumes!

PROGRESSIVE-UK Driver Development
Professional driver training by professional trainers
We also train driving instructors

Grade 6 (and worked for it)
RoSPA Diploma advanced driving instruction
Registered Fleet driver trainer
Cardington, IAM, DIA, blah, blah....

#18 15-08-06 14:07:18

luchell

Good on you but i will just say the good old sales technique of the course fee goes up and you can have a rebate if you sign up now is used by many big companies so its just a sales ploy im afraid neutral

Still good luck, it all comes down to how much work YOU are going to put in no matter who you train with. You will make it a success if you do enough behind the scenes study and work  lol

#19 17-08-06 22:35:02

butt2
Verified Member

Found my notes with questions from my original meeting with TIC in October 2004.

I was told that their pass rates were Part 1 97%, Part 2 84% and Part 3 62%.

Pretty impressive particularly at Part 3 where the national pass rate is less than 30%!

#20 18-08-06 00:33:26

keith-adi
Verified Member
Website

i trained with tic - sorted ! bit of extra help on pt 3 but ok in the end. instructors i had where excellent! extra training was non existant and i even lost my "booked" test car and did part two in the other-halfs sharan 7 seater lol.  . not knocking them? as i said great trainers and it worked for me   but? . . . . . .

"Fastest that they had put anyone through all tests was 6 weeks, but that was an extreme case, and the student pestered test centre constantly for cancelled appointments."

who was it donald campbell? carl lewis? linford? pah

We can all drive! some of us don't know it yet!     Smart Start School of Motoring
lessons available Wirral wide.

http://www.smartstart-wirral.com

#21 18-08-06 07:44:01

Morgan
Verified Member

I also trained with TIC (Sidcup)

Agree with most comments (good and bad)

"Train around your current job" - If you are prepared/can take time off work when they have slots available. I have found this extreemly difficult and had my session mostly at times that did not suit my schedule (In terms of training plan)

I finished my 40 hours feeling very confident, I am great with theory. In hindsight  the lack of time in the car did leave me unprepared.

Decided to go on pink as felt not ready. I choose a part time franchine with BSM, as that suited me. No franchise fee outlay every week. Only had to do 16 hours for which I got an hourly fee. The pressure was on BSM to fill my diary.
The hourly fee is around £6.30 (depending on the BSM lesson rate locally) which is not a lot but as I was in full time work, it covers my fuel, tax etc.

The 20 hours subsequent training were bordering on a joke. Half the sessions were in class re covering how to contruct briefings....so what did we do on the 40 hours then !!! The remainder were in car. I had 3 in car sessions with 3 different instructors and got conflicting views from all 3. I finished my 20 hours totally dejected and feeling like I was not going to be able to pass the pt3.  This was 2 weeks before my test (I had been on pink almost 3 months)

Whilst the TIC instructors are highly qualified, the schedule they have to work under totally restricts them when it comes to specific help for you. I felt like the "advise" I was given was standard script for all and not based on what I was lacking. As I found out when on pink, my core comps were shocking.

I think that most of the staff at the TIC understand the company do not necessarily give the right solution and do try within the contrainsts placed upon them to do as much as they can for you.

Having subsequently had two days training with Brian Stratton in hindsight I would not go with any training company like TIC.  The quality of training from a personal trainer like Brian is far in excess of anything I have received.
One to one training is far better, so ask around, get plentry of recomendations and above all make sure you get on with your trainer...it makes a difference in the end.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#22 18-08-06 08:57:21

pj
Verified Member

Having subsequently had two days training with Brian Stratton in hindsight I would not go with any training company like TIC.  The quality of training from a personal trainer like Brian is far in excess of anything I have received.
One to one training is far better, so ask around, get plentry of recomendations and above all make sure you get on with your trainer...it makes a difference in the end.

I trained with Brian too (the man is a genius), learnt more in 1 day with him, than months with TIC.

PJ Dip DI

#23 20-08-06 07:43:18

hector
Verified Member
Website

A pass rate of 62% at part 3 is definitely NOT impressive!!! Its diabolical.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#24 20-08-06 22:18:27

butt2
Verified Member

Actually Hector you are right.  A 62% pass rate is not impressive.  Made the mistake of comparing it to the national average as oppossed to it reflecting the abilities of a particular training method.

#25 20-08-06 22:29:19

Evan

Actually I am quite surprised it is that high and I am also certain that the pass rate mentioned is not based on the 40 hours training undertaken with them or the other big companies. It has to include supplementary training as well.

Of course if they had someone at the interview stage who actually did a 1-1 interview, and had formal qualifications in assessing a persons potential for doing a job the pass rate would probably be higher. The amount of people entering the course would be less the in-car training could be 1-1, however the profit margins would drop.

So lesson learned, if you want to earn more as an instructor do piggy-backing (although I was told that was wrong, which of course it is), doesn't stop them teaching 2 PDI's to a car though does it?. 40 hrs divided by 2 = 20 hours. Less than half of what the DSA recommends for a learner driver, and this is for the people teaching the learner driver. Hmmm very interesting arithmetic. Setting someone up to fail springs to mind. Ev

Board footer