You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 13-06-06 21:48:46

jonks

Lets Drive (nationwide)

Lets Drive

http://www.lets-drive-instructor-traini … chure.html  Tel: 0500 223 999

If you are training or have trained in the past with this company, please tell us your opinions of the training and service you received.

Please br responsible about what you post. If you had a bad experience then by all means tell us what happened, but do so responsibly. This section is not about defaming any company.

The opinions below do not represent the opinions of Driver Training Today.

Note: We are only interested in experiences with Lets drive in the last six months

13-06-06 21:48:46

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Lets Drive (nationwide)

#2 16-06-06 16:45:47

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

I'm training with Lets Drive in Northampton - I've had a 50/50 experience with them really - I feel with hindsight that some of the initial sales schpeil was a little 'creative' and getting my training when I need it has been a bit like pulling teeth, but the I cannot fault my instructor (at the moment - lets see if I pass part 3!!  lol) - the only problem is they seem to be very short of trainers, therefore each time you ring to book your next session (bearing in mind they only let you book 1 at a time) it's a bit of a lottery what date you get.  Also I was promised at the start, that training at weekends wouldnt be a problem, as I work full-time - I have found I am having to use my holiday days for training - but I am fast running out of those.

Anyway, if they can get their staffing problems sorted, things may improve.

However, if I knew then what I know now - I'd have maybe tried to do it all independently and maybe saved myself some of the 3K it's cost me as well.  But hey, that's life!

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#3 17-06-06 13:04:26

spudulike
Verified Member
Website

I did some of my training with Letsdrive.  If you are happy with only being able to book one lesson at a time and wait 5 weeks in between each one, well you maybe happy with the service supplied!

#4 23-06-06 07:01:35

Yicker
Verified Member

I am currently training with LD, and have had training with two of their trainers. Both great at what they do but seem to cover a huge area, with one travelling from the Wirral covering Liverpool and surrounding areas and one travelling from Preston to cover Lancashire.

Agree with SMILE, some of their sales literature is somewhat creative and weeks between lessons is not good. Best i've had is two weeks but has been up to six weeks between lessons.
Dont know if other schools use the 2:1 ratio or do 1 to 1 training, but  being sat in the back while another PDI does their two hour stint feels like a waste of money, especially when it counts towards your time in car.

#5 26-07-06 16:05:18

pitstops
Verified Member

I trained with LD, found part 1 ok tho a little distant, part 2 i scraped through, part 3 was appaling, i ended up going elswhere and realising that my part 2 had been skimped on which was why i was struggling with part 3.

I had to wait up to 5 weeks for training sessions, which was normally with a different instructor each time (some good some bad)  Call centre staff are the ones telling you when to book tests, not your trainer!!!

I ended up paying over £1000 more to re train as i was running out of my 2 years. My 2 years is actually up today, I passed just over a month ago  neutral

Pitstops driving'scool (",)

#6 15-08-06 10:41:35

Jimothy
Verified Member

I did my training with Let's Drive.

I'll keep this post positive.

Gareth at Ellesmere Port is excellent smile

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#7 15-08-06 10:54:52

Yicker
Verified Member

Agree with you Jimothy, Gareth IS excellent. He trains me at St.Helens.

#8 22-08-06 23:18:22

AndyBerry

I've just started my Part 2 training with them in Nottingham... all seems fine so far, the trainer is great and the average wait for a lesson here is 2 weeks, with next day lessons sometimes available if your willing to do 4-6...

Andy

#9 24-08-06 14:48:13

rachel05
Verified Member

I'm currently doing my part 3 with LD.  My instructor is great. Have had no problems booking lessons, yes I have to book one at a time, but alwalys get one every Saturday!  Part 1 suited me perfectly, I enjoy distance learning.  Part 2 was good, just hoping part 3 is just as good!

PART 1: Passed 02/03/2006 98% 61
PART 2: Passed 3rd time 03/08/2006 (3 minors)
PART 3: Failed 06/03/2007 4/3
PART 3: Passed 18/04/2007 4/5

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 25-08-06 14:59:55

den676
Verified Member

I've just started my Part 2 training with them in Nottingham... all seems fine so far, the trainer is great and the average wait for a lesson here is 2 weeks, with next day lessons sometimes available if your willing to do 4-6...

Andy

Must have improved recently then 'cos I always had to wait 3-4 weeks and Saturdays were almost impossible.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#11 25-08-06 16:24:21

Macca
Verified Member

Hi Den676

It seems a few on this forum have had the same experience as you did from the example quotes below:

Spoke to LD this afternoon, to see if they could help getting me with a school on a pink. They told me that i had to have done 40hrs within six months and as i'd only done 28hrs i cant get a trainee licence. They said it was DSA rules etc. I said it wasnt my fault they cant get me training any quicker,got same response, DSA rules.
I was also told that if i could find a school who would take me,then they would be responsible for the hours missing, but again, it's all down to me to sort out.
They are still adamant i cant have any more training until i book my test.

Agree Yicker

Lets Drive were terrible when I trained with them too - could never get a training slot before about 4 weeks!!  Absolutely dreadful.  When I failed me Part 3 first time, I remember I couldn't have anymore training until I had re-booked another date!

There was a guy I met a couple of times though who sorted them out by saying that he paid his £3,000 and wants his training.  He said that he couldn't care less what the other trainees were doing - that wasn't down to him - he paid and wanted what he paid for - well done to him though - it seems that the louder you shout the more they will do for you - ring back and give 'em hell!!

#12 26-08-06 09:36:11

den676
Verified Member

Yeah my experience of LD is they do the absolute minimum they can get away with.

If most of your lessons are 2-1 how can they claim to have given you 40 hrs training. I my sessions most of the peeps with me had less experince so I spent half my time going over stuff I'd already covered.

This forum helped me to get a 3/4 on my second go not LD.

One thing that puzzles me is, is there not a minimum qualification that ADI's need to instruct others, like grade 6 for example?

#13 05-11-06 19:10:51

Angel
Verified Member
Website

I trained with LD. It was going OK until they went belly up the day before my first Part 3 lesson. Had a dodgy month waiting to see if they would be rescued then got a great instructor. I always had 2-1 instruction but stayed with the same buddy and worked with him inbetween lessons. It was sometimes hard to get lessons booked, the girls at the centre were sometimes quite snotty. I took me the full 2 years to get through, the guy who took me on gave the whole prospect a rosey glow which did not pass close scrutiny if you know what I mean!

I'm teetering on the brink-please push!!

ADI car and Fleet trainer

#14 09-02-07 22:03:43

christhedrummer
Verified Member
Website

I'm training with Letsdrive - have my 1st Part 3 attempt on Tuesday.......

The organisational side of LD is not good. Had lots of problems with getting lessons for Part 2 then just as Part 3 started they were 2 instructors down so things got impossible. I had to go to a different instructor in 2 different areas just to get lessons within 5 weeks.

Wrote rather a snotty but forceful letter to Head Office and got my next 6 lessons block-booked. Now they have enough instructors in my area got my last 2 lessons when I wanted them.

My instructor is awesome, I can't fault him in the slightest - Dave in Luton / Bedford / Peterborough.

The help on part 1 is minimal but they do send you alot of learning aids which means if you do everything as they lay it out the theory test is a formality.

Part 2 training is 1 on 1 in 5 2hr lessons. There should maybe be one more but I can't fault the tuition I  got.

Part 3 is a contencious issue with some people. Yes it is 2 on 1, but whereas other people seem to resent watching someone of a lower standard getting tuition, I find it an invaluable aid as it reinforces in my mind the correct way to do things as I can see where the other pupil is going wrong.
To have 40hrs training 1 on 1 would be a bit of a brain-drain. Twice my training partner didn't show up and after 3hrs together both myself and the tutor were knackered so to have someone to swap over with helps to give you both a break.

I would say the 3 grand fee is worth it (although they are refunding all test fees and as a sweetener I get 1 months franchise free so it's nearer 2) as they do always have support on the phone to help you with. All the phone staff I've dealt with have been helpful and got back to me quickly if I've had a problem.

To sum up, if you are in an area with good tutors and enough of them, then they are fine to go with, unfortunately you don't know this until it's too late............

Hope this helps

Chris

#15 13-02-07 01:34:26

AndyBerry

I agree with Chris...

Part 1 - all the materials you need bar the PC software for practicing your theory test...

Part 2 - Generally all lessons within 2 weeks of booking, only once was it slightly longer because my tutor took a fortnite off to look after his wife when she was quite seriously ill. As Chris said, 5 x 2 hour lessons were perhaps not quite enough, but Peter at Nottingham certainly seems to know how to get the most out of them. I passed my Part 2 with only 2 minors which I believe is down to his tuition as much as anything else.

Part 3 - I passed part 2 in November, got all my resources within a couple of day's of test pass and had my first 2 hour 'introduction' lesson to part 3 the morning after I passed. Due to my work commitments over christmas though, I haven't had time to take my first actual 4 hour lesson. Peter is currently off on long-term sick (the girl in the call centre seemed slightly concerned actually earlier when I phoned up), and as I am working 6 day's a week, it is difficult to get an appointment I can keep with the tutors covering the area. But generally I've found them very helpful on the phone (I frequently seem to speak to Annie and she is extremely helpful!)

One thing I have noted as a change on their website very recently is that they are now providing you with the use of the car that you learn in for your Part 3 test (I haven't confirmed this with them but it defenitely says it on there).

The course material I have received has been top notch every time. The stuff for part 3 is brand new, so the instructors are still catching up with it a little but apparently they all say it is so much better than the previous material. It is very clear and tells you exactly what you want to know.

If ever in any doubt, their tutor support phone line is open during the day, and you can email them any time of day with a response usually within an hour of it being read (obviously, office hours only).

Cheers,

Andy

#16 06-07-07 00:02:19

AndyBerry

For anyone reading this, Lets Drive is now known as "The Instructor College Direct" - same tutors and contact centre, just different name.

Oh, and for anyone training at Nottingham/Derby, Len Norman is absolutely fantastic at what he does!

#17 06-07-07 18:17:36

Veteran Phil
Verified Member

Hi Den,  I know of a grade 4 ADI who boasts and brags that he trains trainees. Yet he just about managed to scrape thru his part 3 at the third go!
           He has found teaching learners hard work, and the ridiculous system allows him to train PDIs for part 3. 
           Blind leading the blind really!
     Cheers Phil...

#18 16-07-07 22:55:01

den676
Verified Member

Hi Den,  I know of a grade 4 ADI who boasts and brags that he trains trainees. Yet he just about managed to scrape thru his part 3 at the third go!
           He has found teaching learners hard work, and the ridiculous system allows him to train PDIs for part 3. 
     Cheers Phil...

That's just plain weird.  :?

There's got to be some sort of minimum standards surely  yikes

Just can't believe that.

#19 17-07-07 07:29:52

SMILE
Verified Member
Website

Veteran Phil wrote:

Cheers Phil...

That's just plain weird.  :?

Just can't believe that.

I trained with Lets Drive & a couple of days after I passed my part 3, I got a letter asking me if I wanted to go for an interview for a trainers job....?  I ignored it, cos I really thought it wasnt on to be teaching people to teach, when I hadnt had extensive experience of it myself!!! Incidentally, I passed my part 3 at grade 4 and dont consider it a scrape through - I passed first time with no pink - 1 of only 7% I think you'll find - and am proud to have done so!

www.smiledrivingschool.com
Lessons in and around Northamptonshire

#20 17-07-07 07:42:45

Dimmy

Just can't believe that.

Minimum standards only come into play if he want's to become ORDIT registered, otherwise no restrictions (at present) to training instructors.

#21 19-07-07 15:22:27

Macca
Verified Member

I wonder what the thousands of students who bought a course from LetsDrive think now they know they weren't training with a succesful expanding driving school after all? Clearly the job with the fantastic LetsDrive yellow mini, instant full diary and unbelievable low franchise fee of only £150 per week has gone.

#22 19-07-07 15:26:00

Jimothy
Verified Member

Gone?

Has the company closed down?

Tell more.

Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor
Driving Standards Agency Registered Fleet Driver Trainer
ORDIT registered instructor trainer
Accredited BTEC Trainer (Driving Science)
IAM Registered Instructor
IAM Observer

#23 19-07-07 15:38:18

Trumper
Verified Member

Letsdrive learner school will now become part of Red driving school. Still have the option of a mini. Think Macca is trying to stir things. Perhaps he is doing this because he runs LDC. Who have a really strong learner school themselves. Around my way they advertise 5 lesson for £25 !!!!

O.R.D.I.T. Dip D.I
Fleet reg
A.D.I  Car manual
Cardington A , D.I.A Special test, R.O.S.P.A , I.A.M

#24 19-07-07 15:40:13

VandADI
Administrator

#25 19-07-07 22:31:52

copsecavaliers
Verified Member
Website

[quote Think Macca is trying to stir things. Perhaps he is doing this because he runs LDC. Who have a really strong learner school themselves. Around my way they advertise 5 lesson for £25 !!!!

Are you getting confussed LDC are doing 5 lessons for £25 I hope not!!

Board footer