You are not logged in.

#1 29-08-04 01:35:29

jonks

Skoda Fabia

Do you use a Skoda Fabia?

If so, tell us what you think about the car...

Pro's and cons of using the car for instruction.

What model do you use? (Eg. 1.4 Diesel)

How much does it cost to run?

29-08-04 01:35:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Skoda Fabia

#2 29-08-04 07:42:15

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Hi

Use Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDi

Absolutely (in my opinion and that of my pupils) the best training car I have ever had or used.

Pros: visibility; space; comfort; economy - 58 ish mpg; easy to drive and manoeuvre; bulbs easily changed (headlight blew before a test this week)

Official running costs are quoted at 31ppm.

Cons: very sharp brakes; mists up easily in wet weather.

Will  replace with like i.e Fabia or Polo

In Memory of Margaret (Mags) Adair ADI 

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 05-09-04 23:23:06

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:47 am    Member - mhill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skoda Fabia 1.9SDi

Pro's

Excellent fuel economy. Loads of space in front. Fully adjustable seat and steering column, fits pupils 4ft to 6ft 6in. Large glove compartment for training aids. Pupils don't realise its a Skoda!! Lots of power when its needed. Very smooth for manoeuvres, don't need to press gas pedal.

Con's

Rear head restraints force pupils to turn round more when reversing (is that a bad thing?). Limited space in door pockets for training aids, things fall out when door is opened. Not a lot of space for rear passengers, if its needed.

This is my second Fabia, my first one only went for repair once for heating fan, no other problems.
Heywood
Lancs.
01706 675455 07946 338439
Visit my web site for more info:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/watsonhill

#4 06-11-04 17:47:10

hampshirebabe
Verified Member

I'm thinking of one of these, is yours have petrol or diesel?

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#5 06-11-04 18:49:26

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

hampshirebabe wrote:

I'm thinking of one of these, is yours have petrol or diesel?

Diesel 1.9 SDi (1.4 PDi & 1.9 TDi diesels are also available) Would probably have gone for the 1.4PDi this time but no deals available, so went for a Peugeot 3071.4 HDi on the Instructors package, worked out cheaper than the Skoda deal, hope I don't regret it.

£2500 raised by our car on the Lejog and presented to Marie Curie, thanks to all who donated or helped in any way. David and Joe

#6 26-03-06 21:41:36

jonks

Skoda is offering low-rate finance and special offers to driving instructors purchasing its Fabia hatchback.

Skoda's UK dealers have reported a lot of interest in the Fabia from driving schools and instructors, and are now offering them two-year, 50,000-mile lease programmes with monthly payments from £169 a month. Instructors are also offered an alternative scheme with lower initial deposits and unlimited mileage, as well as money off the fitment of dual controls. Fabia Classic 1.2 54bhp models are offered with free air conditioning, remote central locking and front electric windows.

The Fabia has been recommended by both the Association of Driving Instructors and Driving Instructor magazine, and is already proving popular with instructors. Many learner drivers then choose to buy a car the same as the one they took their lessons in once they pass their test, so encouraging instructors to buy a Fabia is also likely to lead to extra sales among consumers.

#7 26-03-06 23:33:54

evan

Not surprising that its so well recommended and has such a good pedigree its a volkswagen with a different badge. My brother in law had the Fabia with the Audi engine, he took me for a drive in it and it was absolutely awesome, seriously fast and positive road holding ability. Once people get over the Skoda badge syndrome they will realise that they have a seriously good car on their hands. Lets be honest when did VW ever produce or be associated with rubbish cars. Ev

#8 18-06-06 14:23:04

jonks

Skoda Octavia

If you use, or have used this kind of car for driving instruction, please tell us what you think of it as training car.

#9 18-06-06 15:12:36

msdarcy721

i'm not an ADI, PDI, beginning training or anything really.

we just have one of these along with the clio, and i'm intrigued. would anyone actually use one of these to teach in? yikes yikes

gosh they seem so chunky. manoeuvring, is well, hmmmm takes a bit of a while to get used to the size of it, and spacing.

gosh poor learners. although it's a lovely car 8-)

#10 27-07-07 12:15:45

gary.condon@tiscali.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

I was looking to buy a Skoda Fabia diesel I found some SDIs for sale at good prices but I was told only buy TDI.

Does anyone use a SDI 1900 (2001) and what do you think of it

G

#11 27-07-07 12:45:29

AndyBerry

Although I can't comment on the Skoda, I believe this is the same engine as used by VW in the Polo... I had a 1.9 SDI polo for a few weeks as a courtesy car about 2 years ago and it was rather underpowered. It's mpg was not much different to that of a petrol as it lacked the umph given by a TDI, so engine revs had to be kept higher if you wanted power.

#12 27-07-07 13:02:35

reddragonbus
Verified Member

My spare car is a 2003 Fabia 1.9 SDI, its a good work horse, not very fast compared with a TDI but does the job.

My main car is a 2006 Fabia vRS 1.9 TDI 130bhp with a 6 speed box. That is fast.

I've driven the 1.4 TDI and that was nippier than the 1.9 SDI.

If you can get a TDI go for that, but there is nothing wrong with the SDI.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

#13 27-07-07 14:43:00

gary.condon@tiscali.co.uk
Verified Member
Website

Looks like TDI is the way to go I suppose. By the way, I love that yellow Fabia...

Gary

#14 27-07-07 19:26:12

Rob
Verified Member
Website

I ran a polo 1.9 SDI and as the others said a bit underpowered although i found it very good for teaching in. Mpg was good, easy to drive and not so powerful that pupils got carried away. The only reason i changed it was the car was to small for me as my main car and too underpowered for motorways etc. If it was only to teach in i would have kept it.

#15 14-09-07 16:14:21

New Girl
Verified Member

Wondered if anybody had invested in one of these yet?

I had a demonstrator for a day recently and really liked the car.  Very VW on the inside, really spacious, a great drive.  Only negative was the diesel engine seemed quite loud around town compared to my Fiesta TDI.  Quiet as a mouse at faster speeds.

Really impressed with the level of service from the dealer and they are currently offering free dual controls when you buy brand new.

In the end I decided to wait until the model had been around for a bit longer and buy second hand....hoping to avoid too much depreciation.

Has anybody else had a go?

#16 14-09-07 16:22:54

VandADI
Administrator

Check out the instructor car reviews section  wink

http://www.drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/fo … 280.0.html

#17 14-09-07 16:48:48

New Girl
Verified Member

Thanks - should have put this post there!  Whoops!

#18 14-09-07 21:36:11

Bull on edge
Verified Member
Website

Had the old model some years ago and loved it.

Went to buy the new model but no deals going and was not prepared to change the habit of a lifetime and pay full whack!

Colleague who went with me felt same, he went next door and ordered a Suzi Swift - Luvverly with discount and free pedals.

I bought my third Pug, a 207 1.6 HDi (fourth if you include the written off one) with big discount, free duals and a back up dual control 207 when needed.

Still like the Fabia, though not as much as the old one.

#19 10-01-10 21:02:53

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Hi,

What are peoples opinions of the 1.4 tdi 80bhp. I may be looking at buying a year old one. Seen a couple for £8500 from dealer with 4k milage which looks good to me?

Cheers

Jlo31

RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction
IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)
DSA Fleet registered trainer (Grade 5)
www.PrecisionDriverTraining.co.

#20 11-01-10 18:19:58

littlelegs
Verified Member
Website

Hi.

I'm not in the leaner driver market, but purely coaching Specialist driver training, such as Advanced / Performance / Blue Light and Close Protection. I have had two Fabia Vrs models in the past (my second one is my little avatar picture) and absolutely loved them, the only reason I didn't buy another was the fact they haven't produced a Vrs version of the new Fabia, on the flip side this was a great excuse to the accountant to let me spend a bit more money and buy a Octavia Vrs  big_smile and this is as good as the Fabia, customers who hire the car for there training love it.

Ian

Roadcraft Driver Training Limited
Specialist in providing driver training to the emergency services
ROADA Examiner - Police Driving Instructor
www.bluelightdrivertraining.com

#21 11-01-10 20:47:38

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#22 11-01-10 22:35:47

hector
Verified Member
Website

Id drive the 80 bhp one first as a learner will, vrs brilliant for leaners, not dead easy but 6 speed box which makes it flexible and not too bad in second gear for pull.

If its the one im thinking off (3 Cylinder tdi) its a nail, all VAG group diesels suffer to some degree from the low speed second gear stall, basically a real lack of ability to pull away at slow speed in second, and the resulting stall for someone not used to it needs to be tryed to believe. Also 3 cyllinders bad for pulling in second.

This might all be bull on new model but I doubt it,give it a drive but the 1.9 is much better, I know plenty of instructors much happier with 1.9 or 2 litre. With lower power engines IMHO petrol has a huge edge for learners. The one car I had with this engine  (An Audi A2) would have been a learners worst nightmare. And the fuel consumption difference isnt all it seems.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#23 11-01-10 23:15:14

jlo31
Verified Member
Website

thanks for the feed back.
I test drove one today. Did not stall it and it seemed to pull ok in second to me but did not try to pull away in second gear. May be I should have?

Its a bit noisy on tick over but drove nice. Appreciate the feedback though. Cheers. Jlo31

IAM Motorcycle
DSA ADI (Car)

#24 20-03-10 07:10:46

ExAdiNigel

New Fabia vrs due out later this year, I think around June.  May be worth waiting for?

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#25 20-03-10 11:43:24

reddragonbus
Verified Member

New Fabia vrs due out later this year, I think around June.  May be worth waiting for?

Nigel

It is a petrol automatic.

I just bought a new fabia 3 1.9tdi
Prefer my old vRS to be honest, but need to tow, so it had to go.

LGV PCV Instructor DVSA ADI Fleet

Board footer