You are not logged in.

#1 18-08-04 20:14:38

ecosse

Where To Start ???

I guess everyone who is an ADI probably had this same challenge and looking at archive posts it has been asked many times, but WHERE DOES ONE START??? I have received information packs from many Companies but the one that has caught my eye is Passmasters, has anyone any experience of this Company? I guess when one parts or is about to part with a large amount of money they want to make the best decision as possible.
I would also like to add that there is a lot of great information on this site, thank you.

18-08-04 20:14:38

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Where To Start ???

#2 18-08-04 20:54:41

Badger

First and foremost - Do not part with any money up front.

Pay as you go ONLY and dont sign any committments

Badger

#3 18-08-04 23:16:06

foilerist
Verified Member
Website

I used Passmasters to train with and have mixed feelings about them.  Part 1 was ok but brief, part 2 I did'nt have enough training or support but part 3 was pretty good.  I took it to the wire, passed part 3 on the 3rd attempt, I had a different trainer for each part.

#4 19-08-04 00:03:49

jonks

I have noticed that LDC come up time and time again on here. And although i dont get time to read every post, i have never read a bad word about them. I know if I trained as an ADI, and I am considering it, i would go with LDC.

#5 19-08-04 08:36:36

alys
Website

Hi ecosse,

A couple of weeks ago I was in exactly the same position as you and Passmasters caught my eye too.  I used this forum as a source of info about the various routes into training and which college etc etc.

This is how I decided.

1. There are people who advocate a DIY approach - this is very possible to do and can save you lots of money, however, I felt that I would need a more structured approach as I work full time, have a family and I know what I am like with this sort of thing - I would never get started!!  However, if this doesn't daunt you I would seriously suggest looking into this option.

2.  Lots of other people have used a college or school.  If you decide to do this please ask lots of questions (as you have already started to do!).  I found that there are plenty of people who signed up with a school or college, paid their money and then found them lacking, they then came to sites such as this too late and wished they had asked more questions sooner.

3. For the college option, once you have asked your questions make a shortlist of 3 or 4 and arrange to have a meeting with each one - this does not commit you to anything except for time, which is well spent at this stage.

4. At each meeting make sure that you have a list of questions that you want answers to - this helps you to decide (obviously!) and take notes - I got myself into a muddle about who had said what as I drew up my list of questions and then left them behind (duh!)

5. As well as the factual stuff make sure that you are happy with the responses you get to telephone inquiries.  I was very put off by a few companies who wouldn't give me any info over the phone and insisted I came to a meeting to find out anything about them.  Others tried the hard sell - especially if I indicated that I was considering other options!

6.  I would advise you to consider the ORDIT registration - yes it is a voluntary register and there may be some companies out there that are very good and are not registered - but at least you know that someone independent has checked the company, and in some cases the trainers too.

In my case I looked at 3 companies - Passmasters, NITC/A+ and LDC.

Passmasters looked good but I had seen a few negative comments about them and I didn't like their "franchise" option (which they claim is not a franchise but you are still self employed etc etc).

NITC (training company set up by A+ driving school) was also good and I nearly signed up with them, however, they are not yet Ordit registered and they cost more than my final choice.

LDC - I liked these a lot.  They put a lot of their info on the web and supply a lot of training materials.  I found them to be very friendly and I liked their franchise option too (I want some back up when I start at least).  I also found a lot of LDC people who were very positive about their company.  The only negative comment I have really come across is that you do not get their Part III specific videos etc included in the course cost as it is not considered by them to be essential, but I would not be surprised if this was common with a lot of other colleges too.  Their costs seemed to be very reasonable (with a discount if you pay up front).

I am still only on the early stages of Part I and so far so good!!

Anyway - thats my experience in a (rather large!) nutshell.

Good luck with whatever you do and take full advantage of the forum - its great!  big_smile

Alys

Alys smile

#6 20-08-04 14:32:48

phils01

Hi,
  I too was a bit bewildered with all the hype out there from all the different training companies. I Initially attended an interview with the Instructor College (TIC) and even went for a check drive with them. However between the interview and the check drive I found this forum. I found this forum very helpful and I even put a post on the site myself. I found that quite a few people had, had a few probs with TIC and this put me off them.

After much reading of the forum and investigation I approached LDC. All the things I had read about them were good, their own website was very informitive, when I telephoned them for an interview they were very helpful and arranged a time to suit me. I went to the interview and I found it to be on a one-to-one basis, unlike the TIC meeting where it was a room full of people. The person I had an interview was very helpful and pleasant and answered all the questions I had written down. I found the TIC very 'glossy' and sales like whereas LDC seemed to be more interested in me. (I'm not daft I do know they are still selling me a course)

I finished the interview and told the person I was going on holiday for 2 weeks and I would think about my options.

During my hols I came to these conclusions
1. The difference in cost is about £1000 cheaper with LDC after the discount for paying upfront.
2. All the forum threads I had read really showed LDC in a good light and not much was said about TIC and of that it wasn't much cop.
3. LDC are ORDIT registered, TIC are not (When I challenged TIC about this I was basically told that they were too good for ORDIT !!!!)
4. TIC are a college and cannot give you a job on successful completion of the course, you have to apply for one - a formality I was told !!!
5. LDC offer you a placement within their company on successful completion of the course, but you are not tied to them or their franchise if you decide to go elsewhere.
6. TIC couldn't confirm their pass rates, LDC said they were the only company who published them - make your own mind up about that !!

The only gripe I have seen about LDC is about the optional videos for Pt.3. In my opinion if they are going to help you pass and give you a new career the £145 isn't a large price to pay. If you went to college or Uni you would be paying much more for books and other materials.

So as you can probably tell I preferred the LDC option, so today I have paid my fee's and I start with them next week. It all sounds good right now but I might regret this post if things go wrong in the next few months  :shock: I will have to wait and see.

I hope this is of help to you and wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Phil Smith

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#7 20-08-04 16:24:05

alan.glenford
Verified Member
Website

Hi
I did my  training with LDC like most of the coments above I found them to be the best option.
All Iwould say is have an interveiw with more than 1 trainer and see who you like the besy after all you are investing a lot of cash in your training.Ask lots of questions.
I past part 1  !st time, part 2 !st time but I it was the 2nd go at part 3 to pass has for the extra videos people have talked about I did use them before my 2nd attempt they are worth it and if you go onto a francise or not with LDC you can always sell them on if you want to get some of your cash back.
I now am on a LDC francise it is nice for me to have a little back up behind me as i am still quite new to this game so i now only take work on from them close to home.
Hope this helps

#8 24-08-04 10:56:46

Sue A

Just like to add that if you do your training with LDC, the part 3 videos are £50 + VAT and P&P. And my view is that if they help me to get through part 3 within 3 attempts, they'll be money well spent!

Sue

#9 24-08-04 16:54:00

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

There is a lot of confusion over these videos - I know because I was very confused myself while studying with LDC. This confusion is not helped by their advertising. So here is some clarification:

LDC produce two sets of part 3 videos. One set is called "Part 3 examiners challenge" and can be bought by anyone for £145; these are the older videos. The second set is only available to LDC instructors and students and costs about £60. Students are given the opportunity to buy this newer set after passing part 2.

Confusion is helped along by the fact that the old "Part 3 Examiners Challenge" videos are advertised on the LDC web site as being part of their part 3 training package. At least they are include in the photo of the part 3 package contents. LDC students no longer get these videos and would have to pay an additional £145 (on top of the £60 for the new set) if they wanted them.

The new set were originally produced to train their part 3 instructors. LDC make the extra charge for these videos because "They are not essential to pass the part 3 exams".

Anyone who is a regular on the LDC forums will probably guess I have been biting my lip and restraining myself while writing this!

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#10 25-08-04 12:01:15

alys
Website

Just like to add that if you do your training with LDC, the part 3 videos are £50 + VAT and P&P. And my view is that if they help me to get through part 3 within 3 attempts, they'll be money well spent!

Sue

I didn't realise that  :oops:

Can I assume that the reason these are not included as the norm and the fees increased accordingly is that

a) Not everyone who starts gets to part 3
b) Not everyone who gets to part 3 will feel that they need these extra videos??

I personally don't have a problem with these videos being an additional item as it then gives me the choice.

Alys

Alys smile

#11 26-08-04 11:30:12

Tay

Hi Eccosse
Going to a large company is not always the best idea, especially when they ask for money upfront. Often their trainers are underpaid and not capable.Perhaps consider going to a smaller local establishment. Individual service from a trainer who makes it their business to get you through the exams can make a big difference. Once you qualify you can then look for the best franchise deal.

Board footer