You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 12-08-04 22:01:33

LilRob

German Automatic Drivers License

Hi,

I have a question regarding a german automatic drivers license. I would like to know if im able to drive also a manual car in the UK when I have a german automatic drivers license (I made 90% my lessons with a manual but decided in the last two lessons to make an automatic cause i felt really uncomfortable driving with a manual car eventho I did good as my driving teacher said). I know that they put the keynumber  NR. 78 on the drivers license which means in germany u are only allowed to drive an automatic car. However I've read on dvla.gov.uk the following line which is for european citiziens "If you hold a valid Community licence and you are visiting Great Britain, you can drive any vehicle for as long as your licence remains valid" also I wouldnt need to get a UK driving license and also a german drivers license is valid forever ...it has no valid date on it and u dont need to renew it so I can driver forever with it in the UK  big_smile  ...so when I read the line where it says I can drive any car I wanted to know what exactly that means..could I drive a manual car (if I would rent a car for example and they only have manuals left). I would appreciate it very much if somebody could explain this a bit clearly for me. Do you also put the NR 78 on the back of the drivers license for an automatic license? I have a lot of relatives in the USA and I know all of them learned driving with an automatic car and also passed the test with one but they would be still allowed to drive in the UK with a manual car so I hope this works for a german license too....

12-08-04 22:01:33

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: German Automatic Drivers License

#2 13-08-04 19:28:28

Liesa

I'm not 100% sure but, I presume that anyone, who only has a license to drive an automatic car, regardless of where they pased their test, will be restricted to an automatic car in this country as well.

The reason I say this is, because anyone passing a test in the UK, in an automatic car, is restricted to driving automatic car only, unless they display L-Plates and are suppervised by a full license holder.

#3 16-08-04 09:11:36

Eric adi

I am 99.9% sure you cant drive a manual car on your licence.

However to be 110% sure I suggest you contact DVLA at Swansea send a copy of your licence and just ask the simple question can I drive a manual car on this licence in the UK. At this stage do not send the actual licence just a copy.

You will then get back a definitive answer from them.

Just a thought if you have experience of driving and experience of driving a manual car you could consider taking some lessons in a manual car and take a UK test for a manual car then you will not be restricted.

Good Luck

#4 16-08-04 17:05:31

yaroman

Here's the lowdown. Anyone who has passed a driving test in the EC can drive in any member state, but if their licence is restricted to automatics, this restriction applies to all EC states. Remember, you have a European licence, not a German one!

Board footer