You are not logged in.

#1 11-08-04 13:27:39

Briano

Doubts...

Hi again!

I received my pack from the DIA yesterday and that's certainly giving me something more to think about regarding becoming a DI.
One of the points is to check how many there are in my area and the prices they are charging.

Most of the larger companies are around £21 ph, and the smaller companies around £16 - not totally unexpected really I don't think.
What does worry me though is the number of instructors around. I did a search on Yell.com for driving instructors in my area and it threw up a hundred (maximum on a Yell search), individuals and businesses in my area.

Are there many other ways to check if instructors are required or if I'll be wasting my money and time?
I feel it's a bit cheeky to ring up various instructors in my area and ask if they are particularly busy!

Thanks

briano

11-08-04 13:27:39

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Doubts...

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 11-08-04 14:17:09

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Hi Briano

I called instructors in my area, Most didn't mind talking to me about how busy they are, But i suspect a few would say they are busy even if they are not.
After all they don't realy know who you are.

In my area i think the number of instructors is at 231

You could try calling a number of instructors and ask how soon could they fit you in for a driving lesson, That will give you a good idea if they are busy or not

Regards

#3 11-08-04 14:42:15

MrBassMan
Verified Member
Website

I phoned around as if I was a potential pupil asking for both prices and how soon I could do an intensive 2 week course. Once I had the information I said I would be getting prices from other schools to compare and would get back to them if I wanted to proceed.

This gave me a good idea how busy they were. I also checked the AA web site and they had NO available instructor. As the AA have a number of cars around here, that gave me confidence that local demand exceeded supply.

This is not strictly moral I know, but this is such an important decision that you need to be slightly selfish when getting the information you need.

Learn 2 Pass
Driving lessons in and around Ceredigion in West Wales  http://www.L2P.co.uk

#4 29-08-04 16:39:24

crazymaddriver

hi

I think the over all number of driving instructors out there is stays fairly static new ones come in and old ones and those who decide instcting is not for them leave the trade there's always a demand for instructors
Why dont you call a few schools  up and ask them if they will be willing to take on a trainee instructor once you have passed part 2. thats a good way to find out if there is a need for another instructor in your area.  i did this and basically i was head hunted as i'm a girl and we are very saught after

give it a go and let us know how you get on

#5 31-08-04 08:44:59

Briano

Hi

Thanks very much for all the info, it's helped a lot and I have decided I will become a driving instructor.

I had a meeting with a local guy who just does training and he sounded really good, he also gave me some very useful tips. I now just have to meet up with several larger companies which is going to take slightly longer.
It annoys me because some of them are not contactable out of office hours and none do interviews out of office hours except at some head offices! Not very good for companies who want to provide you with a career in which you will ineviteably have to work evenings and weekends...
My work is crap too, due to lack of staff I haven't been able to book any holiday until the middle of next month!

Anyway, rant over. I can't wait until I can start training and become qualified!

Briano

Board footer