You are not logged in.

#1 29-05-06 10:51:29

den676
Verified Member

Arm signals

Quik quezzie.

On ped Xings an use of sigs, should u make 'pupil' do arm signal during drive or can u just cover it at briefing?  :?

29-05-06 10:51:29

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Arm signals

#2 29-05-06 10:59:48

sparkle

This thread could run on for pages big_smile

I used to make em do em quick (in prep for part 3) (coz lets face it, its !!!!!!!! embarassing) at side of road ... i dont teach em at all.. i havnt seen anyone ever do an arm signal in front of me (few hand ones big_smile)

Im waiting for the 'are you not teaching a life skill' brigade now ;D

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#3 29-05-06 11:04:25

Andi

personally, id teach them with the brief at part 3, get them to practise etc.....remembering all the safety procedures for whacking your right arm out of the window!! lol....then get on the go, but i wouldnt encourage the use of them on the move?? wouldnt want to give the SE that toy to play with personally!

Some would dissagree im sure,  ut i agree with Sparkle, outdated and not really any need for them in my honest opinion!!

1.gif

#4 29-05-06 11:35:54

den676
Verified Member

Just wondered if you could get marked down if you don't cover it on the move 'cos my trainer said you ought to get him to do it. Particularly the slowing down one. :?

#5 29-05-06 14:16:01

markA.d.I

I ran through use of arm signals in the car park on my part 3, i teach them to all my pupils, i am in Devon and the farmers all use them because they don't seem to bother having working lights on there trailers!

I think they are usefull to know, think about people who use them, some bikers, farmers, cyclist (sometimes!!), i teach them more for the point they can understand other people intentions.

This debate has been done to death ....... lets see where this goes again  big_smile big_smile

#6 29-05-06 15:06:27

Shrek
Verified Member

Sounds like a job to be done in the briefing to me, as Andi says it's not the type of toy I'd like to be giving a SE to be playing with either!  wink lol
As far as using them is concerned I agree with Mark there. I ride a bike and use these signals myself and I'd be happier/feel safer knowing that ADIs are teaching them to their pupils so they know what to look out for. After all, we are told to 'think once, think twice, think bike' and it'd be good to know that the drivers of tomorrow know what signals I'm giving - not only the glance over the right shoulder to 'indicate' that I'm about to move out etc.
It would save me having to give some other - less polite - signals to the dumbos who just keep right on going no matter what signals I give!   roll :evil:
Cheers guys, Shrek.

Carry on Donkey -  you're going the right way for a smacked bottom!

#7 29-05-06 15:48:18

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

I go through the arm signal lesson showing the pupil what the signal looks like and when it might be of benefit to another road user. The lesson takes 5 minutes to cover. But honestly I don`t think most drivers would have a clue what the signal means anyway. As long as it stays in the highway code I will continue to teach it

Alan

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 29-05-06 15:50:45

sparkle

. As long as it stays in the highway code I will continue to teach it

Alan

i tell them its in the highway code as part of the theory and i honestly dont even think about teaching it...however...on the road (we got billlions of bikes) i will when the event happens point out what the cyclist is doing etc etc...but wont sit down and go through it...i honestly just dont bother! do i forget?? perhaps neutral

#9 29-05-06 16:09:56

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sparkle

I know what you mean, I could quite easily cut this out like you do.

I really do have to ask myself why I am still bothering with this but for now I will.....

Alan

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

#10 29-05-06 16:12:03

sparkle

Al, dont gt me wrong...you be proud of what you do lol im just lazy lol you carry on teaching them. :angel:

#11 29-05-06 16:14:09

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

smile Thanks, maybe I try too hard!  smile

Alan

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 29-05-06 16:15:45

sparkle

smile Thanks, maybe I try too hard!  smile

Alan

.....put it this way...id be happy if my sons were getting taught by you, rather than me (did i just say that big_smile) thorough...is good.

#13 29-05-06 16:19:42

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

smile smile smile smile cheers - now, quickly  delete your last post!  smile smile smile smile

#14 29-05-06 16:27:56

boyste
Verified Member

I had arm singles on my part3. When I gave the SE a briefing on arm signals I ask him to put his arm out of the window etc.On the road we approach a crossing and there was a couple of people waiting. I ask the SE if a singal would been necessary he said no. only got grade5 would have been 6 if told him to put his arm on the approach to the crossing

#15 29-05-06 16:28:21

msdarcy721

i'm sure mine didn't teach me arm signals. in fact i'm positive. didn't have to practise any of them anyway lol lol

only thing i picked up a little about them, was using the focus discs for theory quezzies.

i think he expected me to read up all about them in the HC :read:

#16 29-05-06 17:39:35

hector
Verified Member
Website

Some of the older se's INSIST on use of arm signals if an oppurtunity arose on the move on part 3 and will downgrade if not used.
As Andi says you must get them to demonstrate it whilst stationary as a minimum AS IF THEY WERE DRIVING thats the important bit otherwise no point,if they cant get window down and up safely whilst driving serious danger would be caused by trying to use one when approaching a crossing.
Most of the time you wont get an SE on part three anyway, the newer examiners have more sense!
Im sure everybody would agree even the best pupil isnt able to determine if an arm signal is necessary let alone put one into practice.

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#17 31-05-06 21:21:43

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

I got use of signals on my part 3, I made him do them in the car park and explained when, where and how they would be used on the move.  There wasn't an opportunity to use the slowing down one on the move and it was just as well because he had put the window back up and I didn't even think about telling him to keep it down just in case :-[ there was no mention of this in the debrief........... but who knows if I had made him I may have got a 5 instad of a 4 :-

#18 19-10-07 18:46:22

den676
Verified Member

Some of the older se's INSIST on use of arm signals if an oppurtunity arose on the move on part 3 and will downgrade if not used.
As Andi says you must get them to demonstrate it whilst stationary as a minimum AS IF THEY WERE DRIVING thats the important bit otherwise no point,if they cant get window down and up safely whilst driving serious danger would be caused by trying to use one when approaching a crossing.
Most of the time you wont get an SE on part three anyway, the newer examiners have more sense!
Im sure everybody would agree even the best pupil isnt able to determine if an arm signal is necessary let alone put one into practice.

So the bottom line is, if the examiner looks old enough, get him to do a slowing down signal. 

If not, forget about it.  lol

#19 02-11-07 23:41:07

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

hector wrote:

So the bottom line is, if the examiner looks old enough, get him to do a slowing down signal. 

If not, forget about it.  lol

BUT!!!!!! what if the examiner is one of the auld yins and you dont have electric windows  roll :evil: :evil: lol

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#20 06-11-07 18:17:28

john55
Verified Member

get him to pull over, wind down the window and tell him they are going to practice arm signals on the move. leave the window down before moving off again. weather permitting of course. 

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#21 06-11-07 23:49:46

Disky
Verified Member
Website

sod the weather, if it's raining, they will get wet, tough !!! smile

#22 08-11-07 21:17:52

den676
Verified Member

Would have thought if it's raining he'll say no need to bother with arm sigs  lol

#23 08-11-07 21:53:39

EKAL
Verified Member
Website

leave the window down before moving off again.

In Stirling John???? you'd need to watch yer handbag didn't get knicked lol

DSA ADI, DSA Fleet, RoADAR Diploma, RoADAR Gold.
SAFED for LGV/HGV - SAFED train the trainer
Driver CPC Trainer
www.agnewdrivertraining.co.uk

#24 08-11-07 23:21:02

john55
Verified Member

no chance. if they try to steal my handbag i would wack them with my high heels!!  big_smile

If you can't do it safely don't do it at all

#25 18-11-07 14:06:12

Bubbles
Verified Member

no chance. if they try to steal my handbag i would wack them with my high heels!!  big_smile

John i didn't realise

Board footer