You are not logged in.

#1 28-05-06 21:39:54

tazmeen
Verified Member

CARS

how old can a car be to instruct in. i heard it has to be three years old at the max or newer.
can anyone shed some light in this matter?

28-05-06 21:39:54

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: CARS

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 28-05-06 22:15:24

AlphaBob
Verified Member

I've never heard of that one. I see school cars of all ages whilst out and about. I think the oldest I have seen is 'P' reg which if my memory serves me right is 1996.  The important thing is are they suitable, up to the job, i.e reliable, well maintained. We are providing a service and the public quite rightly expect to be taught in a modern well maintained safe vehicle not one that rattles and shakes and has worn steering, gearboxes and brakes. By the very nature of the job instructors cars do have a hard life  especially on the steering components, gearboxes, clutches, drive shafts etc and therefore I would imagine that after 4-5 years it would be showing it's age. 
Personally I would not want to be teaching in a car that is more than 5 years old. I am sure others have different views.

Whose the Daddy!!!
www.bobsdrivingschool.co.uk

#3 29-05-06 00:07:59

pj
Verified Member

Agree with Alphabob, I've seen older car about although not as old as a P , oldest i've seen is a W reg nissan micra.

PJ Dip DI

if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

#4 29-05-06 08:28:04

la.monikita
Verified Member

well, around here we have a G yessss G reg Nissan sunny yikes, the L plates on the front are yellow now. i can only assume that they had gone through the fading stage yikes

"What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself."
Abraham Maslow

21st Century Women http://www.loisontheloose.com/my-advent … /the-team/

#5 29-05-06 09:17:30

sparkle

We got a G reg rover here still going strong  ;D

#6 29-05-06 10:59:47

la.monikita
Verified Member

planing teaching in it any time soon then sparkle? lol

Abraham Maslow

#7 29-05-06 11:25:11

luchell

The clio i've just parted with was 4 years old. IF it had worked i would have kept it. Glad it didn't work very well now i like my NEW car lol lol

We got y reg fiestas here, k reg cars alsorts. You can have what you like just make sure it goes and is well maintained.

#8 29-05-06 14:20:55

markA.d.I

We have a mini in the area which is a 1970's model !

I am sure i have seen an old mini in the Exeter area, its well looked after.

It doesn't matter as long as the car is well cared for an mechanically sound.

#9 29-05-06 19:43:41

Russ
Verified Member
Website

yes  a 1970 mini in the Bristol/bath area.
russ

#10 29-05-06 22:30:01

kul
Verified Member

I DON'T think it makes a diffrents how old the car is as long as its mot tax and road worthy . theres loads of  old cars out there its up to u but we chage our cars every three years cause i like new cars and it looks good  kul

#11 31-05-06 13:19:21

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Also as long as pupils are happy. It seems they all want power steering in the car now and air con seems to be a good selling point.

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#12 31-05-06 13:35:51

sparkle

Agree with Colin on the power steering thing...that is a must!

My air cons hardly ever goes on anyway, so dont think pupils really care about that to be honest..but its nice for swealtering days (bout 6 per year big_smile)

My pupil of 8 weeks asked me last week what car she was driving so she could tell her husband

roll  they really havnt got a clue.. she told him 'its small & blue' dear o dear

#13 31-05-06 17:28:13

tazmeen
Verified Member

many thanks for all your help. dont know who told me that it has to be 3 years old or newer.

still puzzled on this self employment business. my understanding is that if i leased a car, i can claim that all back as tax. (correct me if i am wrong) and does this payment come back to us as a lump sum etc. what happens if you buy a car of your own

#14 31-05-06 17:43:22

sparkle

You can off set if against tax...you wont 'get it back' other wise we'd all be leasing ;D

#15 02-06-06 07:53:09

Morgan
Verified Member

Just thought I'd mention that this tax year the first year depreciation rate is 50%, its normally 40% but from time to time the chancellor pops it up to 50% (Is there an election due !!!)

So on a £10k car you can claim £5k in the 1st year. £1250 (25%) year 2 and £937.50 (25%) year 3 and so on until you sell the car or reach zero (which is mathmatically impossible).  This is my understanding, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong or heap loads of praise for being so cleaver and actually understanding it, if I am right (seemed to make so much sence at the tax session)

#16 02-06-06 08:04:18

la.monikita
Verified Member

so it really makes sense to change your car THIS tax year, but seem worth to change it every year lol

Abraham Maslow

#17 02-06-06 16:17:43

luchell

Did i buy my new swift to early for it to be counted as this tax year? Im confused, hopefully i will be on the 50 percent one!!

#18 02-06-06 21:42:57

Morgan
Verified Member

Current Tax year starts 5th April 2006

#19 02-06-06 22:17:09

kjs
Verified Member
Website

I tend not to worry about how depreciation sets in as far has writing it off against tax. I tend to change my car when the warrenty runs out. At least I don't get any large bills for repairs that way
kjs

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#20 05-07-06 13:50:48

Colin Martin
Verified Member
Website

Just thought I'd mention that this tax year the first year depreciation rate is 50%, its normally 40% but from time to time the chancellor pops it up to 50% (Is there an election due !!!)

So on a £10k car you can claim £5k in the 1st year. £1250 (25%) year 2 and £937.50 (25%) year 3 and so on until you sell the car or reach zero (which is mathmatically impossible).  This is my understanding, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong or heap loads of praise for being so cleaver and actually understanding it, if I am right (seemed to make so much sence at the tax session)

hi,
just got off the phone from the inland rev re another querry and wanted to set this straight, you CANNOT claim 50% in capital writedowns in the first year of a new car, nor can you claim 40%,it is 25% each year,the 40% and then 50% only applys to commercial vans and other capital expenses, so its 50% on computers,furniture etc, and 25% on cars
hope thats clear

Sue

Colin Martin
The Bright Red L http://thebrightredl.com
Instructor Apps http://drivinginstructorapps.co.uk
Apps Video channel https://www.youtube.com/colinbythesea

#21 26-07-06 12:09:46

Target
Verified Member
Website

There a few things I look for when purchasing a car for both myself and tuition reasons. In no particular order.

For the Customer.

> AC
> Power Steering
> Adjustable steering. Height and or tilt/shift
> Reasonable attractiveness. Something that appeals
> Electric Mirrors
> Good vision. Easy use of controls,

Those extras I like when Im driving.

> Rear wash/wipe
> Rear electric windows and child control
> Storage. Small pockets
> Full size tyre
> CD player
> Able to see speedo from passenger seat
> Sizable engine to pull the car. Also good for motorways
> Trip computer
> A local trade dealer who can just change a light bulb on the spot.

Optional Extras

> Leather/Part leather seats
> Climate control
> Decent sound system
> Electric wipers ( got that )
> Electric Headlampss ( got those )
> Fog lights ( got those
> Alloys wheels
> Quality Stereo
> Built in Sat Nav

Sadly most the cars I like are not that cheap. So even used cars, I need those alloys and I like my toys.

Approved Driving Instructor ADI(car)
Cardington Grade (A) Diamond Special DIA MSA IAM ROSPA (Silver)
QEF Mobility Qualified
Taxi Driver Training DATT
BTEC Qualified Assessor
www.targettuition.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/TargetTuition

#22 15-12-08 20:06:50

Hale
Verified Member
Website

I would love to update my car, but don't have a spare 3k lying about at the moment. Its a case of what people can afford when they start out. Seen a few S reg Fiesta's and Peugot's about. As long as its roadworthy and suitable for a learner to drive i cant see the problem. Im hoping to get a newer model next year, currently have a Corsa SXI which i perfectly ok at the moment, but the Fiesta is such better value for money i may be swayed.

When i say STOP, I can only mean ONE thing!

Part 1 - Passed Sept 2003
Part 2 - Passed Nov 2003
Part 3 - Failed Aug 2004
Part 3 - Passed Jan 2005

http://www.hayleys-driving-tuition.co.uk

Board footer