You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 03-08-04 12:17:57

Rog
Website

How strict are the examiners with the eyesight test?

I'm well on the way with my ADI part 1 study now, however, I have a concern with regard to the eyesight test in the part 2.

I recently went to a highly recommended opticians and had my eyes tested. The result of which being that I have 20/20 vision with my glasses and that their prescription cannot be improved on. I then purchased a 30-metre tape measure and went down my close measuring out 27.5 metres from various (unknown) registrations and found that I could read 4 out of 6 of them.

Yesterday I had a consultation with one of the top consultant eye surgeons in the country who gave my eyes a comprehensive examination giving them a full bill of health, also confirming that with my glasses I have 20/20 vision. The bit that shocked me was the fact that he advised against the laser surgery (I could have had Lasek or Lasik) as there was only a 2% chance that my vision could be improved over my glasses, but a 5% risk that my vision would be worse then my current prescription. His advice was to wait until I have the ADI qualification before looking at any laser surgery.

This has left me with a major dilemma. How strict are the examiners when it comes to the eye site test?? The DSA's own internal test sheet document states the following; " He should first be asked to read the number plate of a stationary vehicle which is obviously more than 27.5 metres away, care being taken to select a clean plate which is in such a position as to be properly viewed. If unable to read the first plate, the candidate should be asked to read another one (care again being taken as to its state and position) and, if necessary, allowed to walk forward until it is just over 27.5 metres away.
If the second plate is not correctly read, the official measuring tape should be used to determine a distance of 27.5 metres precisely from a third plate which the candidate should be asked to read from the appropriate mark. NOTE: IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES MAY A CANDIDATE BE ASKED TO READ A NUMBER PLATE AT A DISTANCE OF LESS THAN 27.5 METRES.
If the examiner is satisfied beyond doubt that the candidate is unable to read the third plate, a failure must be recorded. When there is doubt, a fourth plate should be tried at a measured distance."

I would be very grateful if those of you that have been through the eye site test could comment on how it was carried out and how strict the examiners were? Is it the case that they say the 27.5 metre rule is a bear minimum and that you should easily be able to see that distance?. Also, is your eyesight tested periodically in case I were to have the laser surgery at a later date?

Many thanks in advance
Rog

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

03-08-04 12:17:57

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: How strict are the examiners with the eyesight test?

#2 03-08-04 13:28:18

adi
Verified Member
Website

From my experience with pupils the eye test is quite strict even down to the point where one candidate had a test abandoned due to failing it! If you struggle to read a plate it will be harder when your nervous. Apparently nerves can blur your vision even more making it harder to read a plate (so i am told). With regards to the eyesight test itself, it's not just red tape but law. We as adi's don't have our eyesight checked periodically but you can be stopped by police and have a road side examination at any time, failing this you can be fined. So with it being a matter of law you have a responsibility to yourself, pupils and other road users to ensure your eyesight is up to scratch all the time.

#3 04-08-04 06:25:33

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Examiners DO like you to be able to read a number plate from the required distance, and like wayne said, they can fail you if you cant!!

I had my eyes checked before taking part 2 and was told i am long sighted anyway. in the literature about tests it said i had to have eye test before part2 and take certificate with me, but all i was asked to do was read a reg plate, so i'm glad my eye test was free!!

#4 04-08-04 17:59:39

Rog
Website

Hi Robbie,

I'm glad you replied. I had my interview with Mike Fardell from LDC on the 20th of July. Mike's a great guy, the interview went well and was very productive. I'm just waiting for my training pack now (paid for by my current employer).

With regard to my eyesight; let's get something straight -  I'm not Mr Magoo!!. I have genuine 20/20 vision, which far exceeds the standard required for normal driving (I also ride a 1200cc motorcycle - not something for the myopic!). I've shown a concern with regard to the eyesight test because I want to do everything the right way and don't wish to waist peoples time and money.

I would be interested in having my vision officially tested and certified before progressing any further. I'd be very grateful if you could advise me how best to go about this.

Best regards
Rog
:shock:

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

#5 04-08-04 20:08:37

adi
Verified Member
Website

Measure the distance out and read a number plate, if you can do it, then thats that, nothing to worry about. If you can read one twice the distance then even better. If you can read it at the required distance then i really wouldn't worry.

#6 04-08-04 20:39:44

Badger

My advice is to stop beating yourself up about it and calm down.

Its no big deal.

The examiner will normally ask you to read a number that is further away than 27.5 metres.

If you have trouble with it he will measure out the  precise distance.

If you still cannot read the number properly ie  get one or more of the digits or letters wrong repeatedly  then he will fail you.

You can stumble over them etc but provided you get them all right without prompting then you should be OK.

The bottom line is that  either you can read them or you cant.

If you are dyslexic then you can get them in the wrong order but they must be the right symbols.

Badger

#7 05-08-04 05:52:00

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I just went along to my local Boots optitions, for eye test and was seen straight away, and it was free!

#8 05-08-04 16:00:57

Rog
Website

ADI,

As I put in my original posting, I have already purchased a 30-metre tape measure and have tested myself on a few plates at 27.5 metres. I found that out of 6 plates I got 4 correct and mixed up a couple of letters on the other 2.

I guess one of the major factors is that I've been in IT for 12 years now staring at a screen that's only some 18" away. My eyes will have become a little lazy over longer distances, so I need to give them a bit of a work out and get them use to picking plates out and working at distance. I've started testing my self on plates while I'm out in the car. I'll also bring my tape into work where there are rich pickings of registrations to test my vision on (at the expense of looking just a little eccentric)

Robbie,

You mentioned that you had a 'certificate' from Boots. Was it merely a prescription reading or was it a certificate specifically for ADI's and is it recognised by the DSA?

Badger,

You’re quite right, but there's quite a bit of work and expense (not to mention no income) whilst I get ready for the Part 2 with the eye test. So I want to be fairly confident that it’s not going to be all in vain.

Thanks for your replies.
Rog

#9 06-08-04 05:31:09

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

It is a GOS2 Patients optical prescription or statement.
Well thats whats written on top of it!
It has a load of numbers telling what my eyesight test result was for left / right eye .
I dont know if it is a recognised certificate as they never asked for it!!

#10 06-08-04 06:54:00

Ozzie

I may be wrong here, but I was under the impression that if the candidate read the wrong character of the number plate that they can still be OK.

For example, if M is read as N you are OK, if D is O you are OK, if 8 is B, you are OK, if S is 5 you are still OK. However distrinctive characters such as A, H, T, V, X would need to be correct.

Here to be shot at.

Ozzie

#11 06-08-04 13:05:21

Badger

Thats a new one on me Oz --  will see if I can find out

Badger

#12 16-08-04 23:29:31

arwen
Website

if cant read it you dont pass. thats all there is to it. :twisted:

#13 12-09-04 21:39:15

Funnyturn

Try measuring out 27.5 metres (I still do feet - 90!!) - its still a very short distance!

Before I did my L test (67 feet) - I measured out the distance with a tape - scary that you can drive with that limited sight - you only have to be able to read the plate at that distance, not see it clearly!!

Before the ADI test, I approached the sight test a different way - whilst out walking (yes ADI's do walk!!) I picked out a car in the distance and kept walking towards it until the exact distance I could read the plate CLEARLY - then paced out the distance to the car.
It was about 150 feet so no probs.

On the test the SE asked me to read the plate on the "Rover" - I checked if he meant the one close by - he did. I was used to looking much further up the road!

Joking aside, I realise it was an 18 year gap, but I dont think the distance I was asked on the L test or motorcycle test was any less than the ADI test.

Board footer