You are not logged in.

#1 26-07-04 14:49:23

Zeb

Question regarding passenger insurance

My partner is looking to start learning to drive soon and have me as a passenger while when she's not with an instructor as I've had my licence which if full and clean since 1992.

The question I have, is would I have to be insured to drive the car?  I asked this question to a driving school while calling up looking for quotes and they said they don't think so - they'd not been asked that question before!

Is there a legal requirement that the passenger must be insured?

26-07-04 14:49:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Question regarding passenger insurance

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 26-07-04 15:59:49

adi
Verified Member
Website

Hi,
I wouldn't think you would have to be. Many instructors sit in pupils own cars and they would only be covered third party on their own insurance if the need ever arised for them to drive it. Personally i dont sit in pupils cars since i read in the DIA's magazine that technically the pupils insurance may not cover them as they are undergoing instruction. The best advice i could give you is to ask a motor insurance company. At the end of the day, they provide the cover and would be the ones to look at the circumstances surrounding any claim. You may find that not all insurance companies cover people in the same way. For example there are many thousands of people who drive to and from work every single day who are not technically covered and may not even realise it.
Best check with the motor insurers directly.

#3 26-07-04 17:19:48

Unplugged

From what I understand as long as shes insured on the car in question and has L plates on the car then ANYBODY over the age of 21 whos held a full licence for more than 3 years can supervise them.

#4 26-07-04 18:57:57

Liesa

You need to be insured to drive the vehicle that you're suppervising the leaner in, just in case you have to drive it yourself.

If you have your own insurance, you'll probably find that your covered to drive any other car, but 3rd party only!

Check the policy anmd if you're still not sure check with your insurance company to find out exactly what your covered for.

#5 26-07-04 21:03:55

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Does that mean then that the examiner needs to have insurance to go on test.

They are just a observer as an accompanying driver would be, I'm ready to stand corrected, but i don't think you need insurance to acompany a learner driver when you are not going to drive the car your self.
If anything was to go wrong and the L driver cant carry on driving then the car would have to stay where it is.

Ive called the police station and they said it would be the driver only that needs insurance.
  roll

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 26-07-04 22:54:00

Lynne
Verified Member

Going back to my insurance days many moons ago ......

You need to be insured to drive the vehicle that you're suppervising the leaner in, just in case you have to drive it yourself.

Yep I agree - to be totally safe you should be added onto their insurance policy (it probably won't cost any or much more anyway as the learner driver is probably the highest risk)

If you have your own insurance, you'll probably find that your covered to drive any other car, but 3rd party only!

My understanding is that you will get TP cover only but the 'any other car' must have valid TP insurance already in place.  If there was an accident both of your policies could be affected.   

Check the policy anmd if you're still not sure check with your insurance company to find out exactly what your covered for.

Definitely (and get it in writing!!!)

Zeb you not just "a passenger".  You are supervising!!  No offence but as a learner your partner hasn't yet proved she is safe to drive unsupervised.

Technically you're probably insured but it could be messy if an accident happened.  The 'Driving Other Cars' extension is supposed to be for emergencies only.

Examiners licences are suspended when on test.  They are not responsible for the vehicle.  Anyone on test is supposed to be at test standard and therefore capable (!) of driving unaccompanied.  I believe examiners will only take action is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

AND.....I stand to be corrected on anything I've got myself ar** about face on  wink .......

Lynne

#7 27-07-04 07:31:50

adi
Verified Member
Website

We can throw the subject of insurance around all day long, but at the end of the day all policies will differ one way or another. The only way to be 100% certain of any query is to contact your insurer directly.

#8 28-07-04 15:06:17

Zeb

Many thanks for all your replies, we'll hold fire on that question for the moment and we'll check with the insurance companies when we start looking for a quote.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#9 28-07-04 22:02:48

Unplugged

Liesa wrote:

Hmmm seems to be a mixed message advisable maybe but as far as I know not law your supervising yes and you have top meet requirements to Supervise but if the driver has a crash they are the driver if you do a search on requirements for supervising drivers I couldent in a quick scout about find anywhere where it mentions anywhere that you much be insured on said car.

Im not covered on any car only my own its something that I will prob add to my policy as ive just recently changed car but as far as I can find out. Ive certainly never heared of anyone having to phone the insurance company after a learner crash and say "I was supervising"

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/operator_info.htm#start

Supervising learner lorry and bus drivers
Persons wishing to supervise learner LGV or PCV drivers will need to have had a full licence in the same class as they are travelling in for at least 3 years; eg. a person supervising a learner in category C will have held a full category C licence for at least 3 years.

I do remeber hearing a case where a person on a driving test accidently took a wrong turn and entered onto a Motoway if I recall the Examiner told him to ppull over and that the test could not continue as he was not insured to drive the car and that it was illegal for the pupil to drive on a motoway He then walked back lol

If I also recall the law rightly your only legally to allowed to drive another car Third Party with the express permission of the owner.... Do examiners actually ask permission to drive the car before a test?

Board footer