You are not logged in.

#1 25-07-04 15:53:23

Anonymous

time spent learning to drive

Why do people learn to drive in a week or thirty hours. We dont see swimming schools saying that or flying schools. But you are more likely to be killed in a car. Can some explain? :?

25-07-04 15:53:23

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: time spent learning to drive

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#2 25-07-04 17:06:32

adi
Verified Member
Website

Try swimming for 30hrs spread out over a week, it would be physically exhausting.
You probably can get very intensive flying lessons, i would imagine the cost to be very high so it makes sense to spread flying lessons out. As for driving, yes you are more likely to end up in an accident than the above, but alot of drivers spend nearly their whole day, every day driving quite safely and under control. As long as you are alert whilst driving and your instructor is also alert there is no real problem with learning to drive doing 30 hrs in one week.

#3 25-07-04 21:06:12

Bob_FOADS

As a side point to driving, you can do intensive flying training. I have the licence to prove it.

#4 26-07-04 05:39:36

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

I do intensive driving courses (LDC!)

We do a 25 hour 1 week course, and the difference with this is that you will be getting bombarded with information and practice in one go.

Imagine if you did 1 hour / week over 25 weeks, then you would forget a lot of what you did and were told last week, so then you end up spending 10mins recapping and getting back into it!
if you did 4 x 5 1/2 hour days then all the information and practice would be fresh in your memory, and so you could just flow from one topic to another, without forgetting what you did an hour ago.

Then when you come to do test at the end of the week, you should still be very clued up on what you have learned all week.

Most pupils i have taught on them, enjoy them and say that they would recommend them.

The only down side is that if you or instructor dont feel you are ready for test (it does happen!!??), then you still have to go for it!

#5 26-07-04 11:55:49

Anonymous

So why does the DSA or BSM not recommend them.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#6 26-07-04 21:09:44

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

Robbie wrote:

The only down side is that if you or instructor dont feel you are ready for test (it does happen!!??), then you still have to go for it!

Do i read that wrong ?

If your not ready for test you still have to go for it !!!

I do intensive courses and if a person is not ready to take a test then they do not go for it, It just aint worth the risk.

#7 26-07-04 21:30:00

David Wooder

To a degree, I think it depends on the individual pupil.
For some, it does work to learn intensively, and keep things "fresh".
For others, the information "overload" would be too much and it's best to practice in small chunks.
Personally, a good compromise I think is to have 2 or 3 lessons a week, which should avoid "burn-out", whilst still keeping information fresh from one lesson to the next.
David

#8 27-07-04 05:56:28

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

what i meant was :
You are within the cancellation period, and you wouldn't be able to change or cancel it!  if they are doing weekly lessons then you could move test, or take more lessons on run up to it!

Sorry for confusion!!!

oooops

#9 10-08-04 13:28:21

Eric adi

What wories me about intensive courses is yes you could learn all you need to in say a week but AND HERE is the BUT.   The learner will have little or no real experience, and if something where to happen on test which the learner in their very short period of experience has not dealt with. They will be stuffed and not know from experience how to sort out the problem.

My version of intensive course is usually no more than 2 hours a day and normally every other day for as long as it takes. To start they would need to already be able to drive and do basic manoevours and had an assessment lesson to try to determine how many lessons might be needed with a backup of more time available if required.

ADI's might take a look at recent post on MSA site under this heading.

If you are near me and need help PM me and I ll get back to you.

Good Luck what ever you decide to do

#10 16-08-04 16:49:15

Darren

intensive driving courses ar'nt worth it, for the main reason being, If you get a 2 hr lesson per week, you have 1 week to think about what your driving instructor has said. Im with BSM, and my instrictor agreed with that. He does intencive, and he said that with all the information crammed in to your brain with in 1 week, the chances of you forgeting somthing, is so high.

Learning to drive takes time. smile

Good Luck.

(Im only speaking as a learner, but thats the advise i was given)

#11 24-08-04 18:38:20

bred2k4

Michael Phelps swims 28hrs/week.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 24-08-04 20:40:50

Darren

bred2k4 wrote:

Michael Phelps swims 28hrs/week.

Difference being that he can swim lol

#13 25-08-04 08:43:22

paul1

In my experience of doing intensive courses, which is not much as I don't like doing them, the pupil is invariably not ready to take a test at the end of the course. As I say, I haven't done many but the one's I have, either failed then went on to do weekly 2 hour lessons or I didn't let them go for the test anyway and again, continued with weekly 2 hour lessons until the next test.

It does sound like it should help for people to learn to drive over a shorter period of time but I think, as somebody else said, it very much depends on the individual. I can probably think of a 'handful' of my pupils (over the years that I've been an instructor) who would maybe have benefited from an intensive course - although I think they need more than 2 hours assessment before its decided. The problem is that sometimes the pupil has already made up their mind that they're going to do an intensive course anyway.

I also believe that some driving schools see intensive courses as a good 'money spinner' and therefore do not bother to assess a pupils capability first. This practice, in my opinion, is tantamount to conning someone out of their money. Some years ago I worked for a driving school who did this frequently, the course would normally be over a two week period and with perhaps 2 or 3 different instructors, which I did not like doing at all, in fact I stopped making myself available for these types of courses because I believed it was 'ripping off' the pupil.

Paul.

Board footer