You are not logged in.

#1 16-07-04 15:29:07

phils01

HELP- Which driving School - LDC or TIC

Hi to all in this forum.
It's great to find somewhere to get good Information before I take the plunge and sign up for a training school.

I have been thinking of becoming a Driving Instructor for over a year now, But a broken leg has put paid to any form of training until lately !!!
I decided to look into this industry because of the tempting adverts in the newspapers. I am 36 years old and do realise there is no such thing as a free lunch, so I am prepared to work hard. After reading this forum over the last few days I have realised that there is a living to be made in becoming a Driving Instructor but it certainly won't make you rich, which I am OK with - Partly because I've got a pension for life from my last employer !!

Anyway I decided to look into training and I contacted The Instructor College (TIC). I went to one of their interviews and got all information about the training required. It all seemed very impressive to me and they asked if I would like to come back for a check drive to see if I had what it took to become a Driving Instructor. I went back, did the drive, and I was told that everything was good and they would accept me. Their fees were just short of £2800, which included the cost of you green badge, but not the exam fees. I did some home work and found out (from the LDC website) that they are not ORDIT registered. I asked them about this and I was told that basically they were too good for ORDIT and their college was accredited by other bodies such as ROSPA and EDEXCEL. Not what the LDC website was hinting at !!

I decided to contact LDC as well and I have received their brochure and I have got an interview next week, I see that their fees are £1900 but don't include the green badge fee. Thanks to all on this forum about the things that I sould be asking, especially the person who put a list of questions up, I printed them out.

So what I would like to know from anybody who can help, have you got any comments on the TIC (a bit thin on the ground in this forum) ? Are  the fee's worth it from the TIC ? Who has the best reputation, TIC or LDC ? What are the real pass rates for both TIC and LDC ? Is there other instructor schools I sould consider, bearing in mind I live on the east coast of Scotland ? How much work do you actually get on your pink license ? Who would be the best to francise through ? How hard is part 3 (thats the bit I'm most concerned about) to pass and do lots of people drop out?

Answers to all or even some of these questions would be greatly appreciated as would any other info for some one who is considering 'taking the plunge' especially about the TIC, because apart from their own website I cant find much else out about them.

Thanks in Advance,

Phil Smith

16-07-04 15:29:07

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: HELP- Which driving School - LDC or TIC

#2 16-07-04 15:39:54

Natalie

Hi Phils

I am currently training with TIC in Leeds.  To tell you the truth I don't think it is worth going with them, whether it is just the Leeds one I am not sure.  I have found that they can't fit me in for the training and I have had to put my Part 2 test date back a month so that they can get me in.  I have also had to take out extra training with another company. 

Probably not the reply you were expecting.

This is only my opinion I am sure there may be others who think otherwise but these are my thoughts.

Nats

#3 16-07-04 15:45:39

phils01

Thanks for your honest opinion, at least I know now. Sorry to hear of your troubles. hope the training goes well in the end.

Phil Smith

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 16-07-04 18:35:59

bigred
Verified Member
Website

Hi Phil,

Try having a chat with D-S-E, I know the guys are top notch and they are based in Scotland.
http://www.d-s-e.co.uk

Regards,

#5 16-07-04 21:01:34

johnexley
Verified Member
Website

Hi. I trained with TIC. Once you have paid your fees you dont pay for any extra training if you fail any of the tests. So even if you fail part 3 on your third attempt they will give extra training again for all 3 parts. You wouldn't be able to start again until 2 years after passing your part one test!

I passed part one at first attempt. Part two and three both at third attempt. Felt the extra training could have been better. Problem might be they have too many people on their books for the number of trainers they have got.

I also took a franchise with Red driving school (also part of the Lansdowne Venture Group). The work load with them on a trainee licience was low. Some weeks my takings only just covered my fuel and franchise fee.

I passed part 3 on 1st July 2004. Franchise notice of termination given and the car goes back at the end of the month. I start out on my own after that. Most of the pupils I've got have be recomendations but the ones through the franchise dont seem bothered that I'll be teaching them in a Seat Ibiza rather than a Vauxhall Corsa.

If I had to do it all again I might take a different route.

Regards, John.  wink

John Exley
A,B,BE,B1,C,CE,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p,h
http://www.johnexley.co.uk
http://www.towing-training.co.uk

#6 17-07-04 05:38:50

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

Hi Phil,

I am an LDC instructor, and i found them excellent for training and that there was always someone there to help on the end of the phone if i needed them!
I also found that they really wanted me to pass my part3 and i got extra hours training FOC, to get me through (3 attempts). I had a very good trainer, who was willing to help at any time, and i still get help from him now if i struggle on anything. I have now just completed my first 12 months as an instructor (9 1/2 months on pink), and have enjoyed every minute, and have been very busy, and am now fully booked for next 3 weeks (upto my hols), and also nearly booked up for the week i get back.

The franchise fees are reasonable and affordable, and you get a lot for your money.

All my training was 1 to 1 which i found was better as he was teaching ME.  While i was doing my training in wolves / Dudley, we used to see 3 TIC cars in safeway carpark where i met mick, and they all seemed to have 3 trainee instructors in each car at the same time!  Mick also told me a few bad things and the way they operate, from some of the instructors who he knows who started training with them, then got dumped on another SOM and forgotten about, and got no help what so ever with their tests.

Hope this info helps you???

:?:  :?:  :?:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  lol  lol  lol  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

#7 01-11-04 14:33:03

Macca
Verified Member

Hi

LDC are on ORDIT and I thought it might be useful to explain what ORDIT is about.

To be recommended by the DSA (Driving Standards Agency , the government body that tests and regulates driving instructors in the UK) you must join ORDIT the Official Register of Driving Instructor Training which is managed and controlled by the Driving Standards Agency. Organisations on ORDIT are also recommended by the Motor schools Association (MSA), the Driving Instructors Association (DIA), the Drivining Instructors Scottish Council (DISC) and the National Joint Council of Driving Instructors (NJC).

To be on ORDIT you must only use trainers who have been tested and inspected by the DSA as being competent to do the job. This is done every two years by the DSA to make sure that the standard of training offered by ORDIT trainers is maintained. The company must also use a structured training system, training methods and materials approved by the DSA and agree to abide by a business and advertising code of conduct. ORDIT is managed by the DSA.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to know what ORDIT is.

#8 01-11-04 14:56:04

The Magic Man

I trained with TIC, and would not recomend them, As for LDC, I have no knowledge  so I can't say anything about them.

Darren...

#9 02-11-04 06:29:41

Robbie
Verified Member
Website

LDC are very good!!!

Board footer