You are not logged in.

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#1 20-05-06 09:13:51

sammie06

Motorway!!

well just thought i'd let you know how my pass plus lesson went yesterday.

My ADI tells me we going to go up the A52 then onto th M1 but before we get to the M1 he said we are going to pull over and have a run through on what we are going to do. AND where does he pull me up, A bloomin lay-by on the A52  :banghead:, He says he wanted to make sure i could pull out of a lay-by if i ever needed to! He run through everything about motorway driving then it was time to pull out of the lay-by  neutral  I got to admit i quite surprised myself in doing this as i did it ok.

Anyways, we get onto the motorway and it was really quiet for abit, til we got further up and there was lorries everywhere, spent most of my time in 2nd and 3rd lane overaking them, the bit that really scared me when i was in the 2nd lane was when i was overtaking a lorry (may i say it was pouring with rain at this point) and i was getting all the spray of the lorry so i could hardly see anything, then this other lorry starts overtaking me in the 3rd lane and getting all his spray back as well, at that point i waas absolutely Sh*****g myself because i couldnt see a thing!! neutral And heres me thinking lorries have a restricter on them at about 62mph, this one obviously didnt as i was doing 68mph and he was goint at least 75mph.
Gets of the motorway ok, think we ended up somewhere near sheffield did a big loop around this R'about and went back on the M1 wasnt to bad this time as it had stopped raining and was sunny. Quite enjoyed the drive back as i was used to it by then, just a few idits pullin in front of me with no warning.

Did notice on te way back there was a BIG pile up on a stretch of the M1 where i was about 45mins before hand, im glad i didn't get caught up in that. i would of been there forever. Got another motorway session next week and thats my pass plus finished, we did city driving to get to the A52 so done that and he says he cant wait round til 9.30 at night to do night driving, which i did plenty of when i was learning anyway so he knows im ok with that.

Think i may get him a thank you card for putting up with me for so long!! big_smile

Sammie

age.png

20-05-06 09:13:51

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: Motorway!!

#2 20-05-06 09:31:46

msdarcy721

aww good stuff sammie 8-)

glad you sound as if you've enjoyed the course so far 8-)

i think the m/way element of the course is just super :afro:

good luck with last little bit xxx smile

i think i had two hours of night driving with adi. then dad took me out when i was up and about by myself. gotta say don't really like night driving out of all the types of driving lol lol esp in winter! could see very little. didn't like it at all.

enjoy xx smile

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#3 20-05-06 14:22:27

ExAdiNigel

....the bit that really scared me when i was in the 2nd lane was when i was overtaking a lorry (may i say it was pouring with rain at this point) and i was getting all the spray of the lorry so i could hardly see anything, then this other lorry starts overtaking me in the 3rd lane and getting all his spray back as well, at that point i waas absolutely Sh*****g myself because i couldnt see a thing!! neutral And heres me thinking lorries have a restricter on them at about 62mph, this one obviously didnt as i was doing 68mph and he was goint at least 75mph.....

If there is a lot of spray being kicked up by a lorry in lane 1, consider moving into lane 3 to reduce the amount of spray you have to drive through.

Again, if you are overtakingin lane 2, try and time your overtake with a gap in lane 3 - that way, if the lorry in lane 1 starts to move out (and they have a huge blind spot, esp left hand drive) you have an escape route.

Smaller lorries (up to 7.5 tonnes) are not restricted to below 70mph.  The larger lorries are legally allowed to go 60 but are usually restricted to 56mph.  Saw one the other day with a sign saying it was restricted to 52mph!

Nigel

National Standards Cycling Instructor, Ex Adi

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#4 20-05-06 17:03:01

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi Nigel

Smaller lorries (up to 7.5 tonnes) are not restricted to below 70mph.

Ther are some changes which have already started and are ongoing for a couple of more years

When Directive 2002/85/EC is fully implemented - after all the relevant transitional provisions have expired - limiters will be required by EC law to be fitted to:

All passenger vehicles with more than eight passenger seats; and
All goods vehicles with a maximum mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes.
Limiters will have to be set at 100kmh, and to restrict speed to 90kmh, respectively.

The provisions of Directive 2002/85/EC apply to all 'in-scope' vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2005. However, provided they are used solely for national transport operations, passenger carrying vehicles with a mass not exceeding 5 tonnes, and goods carrying vehicles with a mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, will not have to be fitted with limiters until 1 January 2008.

Limiters will also have to be fitted to 'in-scope' diesel-engined vehicles first used between 1 October 2001 and 1 January 2005. These vehicles will need to be fitted retrospectively with limiters by 1 January 2006, unless they are used solely for national transport operations in which case they do not need to be fitted until 1 January 2007.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/d … p#P51_2557

If you read it you will find that although the legal maximum speed on motorways for these vehicles is not being altered they are to be governed to 62mph and restricted from using the right hand lane of multi(3+) -lane motorways.
I am already driving a minibus so fitted and it takes quite an effort to avoid using the outside lane, particularly in slowish traffic, when you are used to using it in another vehicle from the same fleet.

#5 23-05-06 18:56:02

den676
Verified Member

Bit surprised your ADI let you get into that sort of situation Sammie. No wonder you nearly s**t yourself.

I think a lot of truckers disable the restricters, seen a lot doing well over 60 on mways.

#6 23-05-06 20:03:45

pegasus
Verified Member

Hi den

I think a lot of truckers disable the restricters, seen a lot doing well over 60 on mways

Spot the foreign number plates on the vast majority of them, also the drivers are sitting on the wrong side. big_smile :evil: big_smile

#7 25-05-06 06:43:21

ADIALAN
Verified Member
Website

Hi Sammie

Quite a few will poo poo pass plus as a waste of time, I think from your comments this may reflect a different light on this.

I love teaching PP and pupils always leave afterwards on a high and a great sense of achievment.

Well done especially as you did this in  such poor weather!

Alan

"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity - genius has its limits"

Board footer