You are not logged in.

#1 19-05-06 09:10:48

dragonfly

introduction, cockpit drill .....part 3

does this sound right - this is how i've read it, but just wanted your thoughts -

introduction, cockpit drill, history,(ask questions) aim, objective, future lessons, briefing or q&a, any other questions?

so, if this is correct it shud go summat like, hello, my name is..........., now firstly lets get our selves safe in the vehicle, show me cockpit drill, ok, so can  you tell me what you've covered with/in the past.........

does this sound right? safety first ? - my main question is regarding the cockpit drill so early - surely this cant be seen as wrong?

dragonfly

19-05-06 09:10:48

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: introduction, cockpit drill .....part 3

#2 19-05-06 09:14:34

luchell

Sorry im not understanding in what context. For part three? Lessons? What lesson? the actual teaching of the cockpit drill or any lesson in general? I thought you had passed part three so thats why im a tad confused sorry. neutral

#3 19-05-06 09:18:49

evan

One point when you get a pupil or Se into a car go to the drivers door with them and make sure their door is shut and they are in safely.

Are you talking about PST 1 or getting them to do their cockpit drill in a later lesson. Ev

#4 19-05-06 09:19:01

dragonfly

sorry for confusion,
no i havent passed part 3,
it was basically every lesson, but mainly querying for part 3, (which is no different i suppose) lol

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#5 19-05-06 20:25:58

kestrelkevin44
Verified Member
Website

If you mean on the part 3 test and any PST except controls I would do it in this order: Intro, Q/A previous experience, aims and objectives, brief the subject to be taught and then say something like " Ok if you would like to carry out your usual cockpit drill we will get on the move now" watch them do their routine,then do yours without taking your eyes off them if possible and then get them to move away under your full control......
I don't think I've missed anything but I'm sure someone will fill in the gaps if I have

#6 20-05-06 00:04:01

bcsom
Verified Member
Website

I always suggest getting the pupil to do the cockpit checks prior to briefing on PST 2 Phase 1 - Moving Off & Stopping, as well.

This is because some of this session  will relate to mirrors: If the pupil's all set up, teaching the mirrors will be easier & more effective.  Also - for getting the pupil to learn how to co-ordinate the controls for moving off - especially ensuring they lift the clutch at the correct pace.  If you do this simple exercise, which takes 30 seconds, you can possibly ensure smooth move aways from the first attempt.

Russ.

Russ Green DSA ADI
BLUE CAR School of Motoring
Sheffield

ORDIT 1, 2 & 3 Approved 1-2-1 Pay-As-You-Go Driving Instructor Training

DIAmond Advanced Tests
DIAmond Special Tests

www.blue-car.co.uk (thanks Jonks!)

#7 21-05-06 16:16:25

hector
Verified Member
Website

Remember you are responsible for your pupils safety, so do the cockpit drill after intro in case you are struck by another vehicle at the roadside.No arguments.

What reason could there be for not doing this? All my trainees do this without problems on part 3 tests.
I know someone who was struck at the roadside without belt and didn't leave to tell the tale im afraid. Tell the examiner this in role how could they argue!

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education
ADI qualification/Check test training/Excelsior DSA Ordit/fleet courses
Johnny boy United 20 its coming son

#8 21-05-06 16:50:51

evan

Interesting and valid point hector. One of the local B** instructors was giving a cockpit drill on a 1st lesson on a local trading estate, (quiet road, he thought) and the car they were in was hit from behind by a truck. The car was written off. So it does happen. Ev

#9 21-05-06 20:31:45

dragonfly

thats exactly why i intend to do it early - safety first !!!!

even in a carpark on the dsa headquarters a accident cud happen - so glad i asked and have reassured me sen.

d x

#10 21-05-06 20:36:04

evan

One thing about this dragonfly, if you get Controls PST1, you will almost certainly have to drive to a suitable site. Remember it is as if you are picking a pupil up on a first lesson. So you will have to make sure that your pupil (SE) has his seatbelt on properly and head restraint adjusted properly before you drive off. (They mark everything). Ev

#11 22-05-06 09:26:59

dragonfly

ooh thanks for that - duely noted - hadnt thought of the scenario of leaving carpark and me driving.

thought he may do it in carpark - but wud he expect me to drive away from it?

thanks
d x

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#12 22-05-06 09:49:29

evan

but wud he expect me to drive away from it?

thanks
d x

Yes this pst and moving off and stopping are the two that YOU must drive to site for. Ev

#13 20-04-08 16:56:23

tealeafuk
Verified Member

Just to make sure i got this straight, you intro, cockpit drill, then in to recap aims and so on? am i right?

#14 30-04-08 20:38:06

gs1974

Not necessarily, though as long as you cover everything and it isn't confusing, it isn't really critical.

When I did it I did introduction, Q&A to find out background, aims and objectives, then brief with Q&A liberally sprinkled about to make sure I wasn't teaching them to suck eggs. And debrief/summary at the end, of course (if there's time). The brief includes cockpit drill (usually right at the start). And that's how my Lesson Plans were drawn up, and how I structure my lessons now.

#15 30-04-08 21:04:29

catweazle
Verified Member

#16 08-05-08 17:59:53

hector
Verified Member
Website

Tevez

EXCELSIOR TRAINING 
James Dawson Grade 6 ADI (Ordit Registered) Ba (Hons) Driver Education