You are not logged in.

#1 10-07-04 23:07:21

Spenceruk

ADI Part 1 Test - Any Last Minute Advice Appreciated!!!

I'm really pleased to have found this forum. There's so much quality advice on it.
I'm taking my Part 1 Test on 13th July. Not too worried about the Theory (most of it seems to be common sense anyway) but very nervous about HPT. I've still not quite got the hang of when to click. On several practice clips I've got zero even though I know for certain I spotted the hazard - and when I do a review clip I notice that the scoring window, in many cases, was marginally just after I spotted it. Now I try to click again twice in quick succession, which seems to do the trick, but I'm worried about clicking too many times and getting marked down to zero!
I've also, on a couple of occasions, nearly missed hazards completely because I've sat there watching this small picture on my screen wondering what that 'speck' is and whether it's a hazard! The quality of the clips on the software I have (Focus Driving Test Hazard Perception) leaves a lot to be desired! What sort of quality are the official DSA clips in the actual test?
If nothing else it's all made me think an awful lot more about my driving and I think and concentrate more now - which can't be a bad thing!
Anyway, I'm nervous but looking forward to the challenge!
Wish me luck!

10-07-04 23:07:21

AdBot
Google AdSense Posting Bot

Re: ADI Part 1 Test - Any Last Minute Advice Appreciated!!!

#2 11-07-04 09:18:13

piperdog7

yes the hazard test is the same as the disc,click on everything that looks remotly like a hazard ,shoot first and ask questions later,but dont get into a rythm,as like the disc it will notice this and your get the big fat zero marks .as for the questions ,well mock test,revise,mock test,revise:you can get in a rythm with this.

#3 11-07-04 13:54:22

Liesa

Hi  Spenceruk

Welcome to the site!

Good luck with part 1, and please come back and let us know how you get on.

For best results with the hazard perception test, you should view the clip as if you're the driver of that vehicle.

Everytime you see anything that could cause you to slow down or stop click the mouse, then click the mouse if you'd  use the mirrors & again if you'd take any kind of physical action i.e braking etc.

If you follow the above you shouldn't have any problem with the test at all, I give all of my learners this advise and they all get scores in the high 50s and above!

Hope this helps wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 787

#4 12-07-04 20:22:00

Approved Instructor
Verified Member
Website

The DSA H/Perception video does not go as fast as the others on the market today like 'focus cd-rom' the driver seems to drive quite slow.

Don't worry about clicking to much, As long as its not all at once.
You should at least fill up one line at the bottom of the screen with flags, I did this when i took the H/P test and got a good score.

Good Luck

#5 12-07-04 21:39:28

Spenceruk

Thanks for all the brilliant advice everyone! I think I've been worrying too much about clicking too often! What I've been practising is clicking as soon as I perceive a hazard but then clicking again to ensure I'm not too early. I'm worried then about clicking again because then that's all in quick succession.
I think the HPT is a very difficult test to prepare for - I've had some wildly different results in my practice sessions ranging from 51/75 to 66/75 and it's not as if there's been a gradual improvement over time - the results have jumped about all over that range!
Obviously I'm in the right sort of area but it's a bit 'touch and go' for the test. However much I practice, though, it doesn't seem to make it any easier!
At least I'm confident about the Theory questions!!!
Will let you all know how I get on!

#6 13-07-04 10:29:17

Spenceruk

I failed this morning!
100% on the Theory Questions.
55/75 on HPT.
Just 2 marks short.
I did get a zero on one clip and I'm certain I didn't miss any hazards at all so I must have clicked outside the 'window'.
What can I do to prepare better?

#7 13-07-04 16:30:45

Gizmotime
Administrator

Hello sorry about your score on HPT,only advice I can give is Practice again and again.

I know how you feel, I got exactly the same score on mine,so I'm gutted as well :cry: and this is the first time I have told anyone :oops:

Still we will be well prepared next time wink

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#8 13-07-04 17:03:45

Spenceruk

Gizmotime wrote:

I know how you feel, I got exactly the same score on mine,so I'm gutted as well :cry: and this is the first time I have told anyone :oops:

Still we will be well prepared next time wink

I was 'gutted' at first but now, after reflection, I'm more determined than ever!

Particularly as I've just had to fork out another £50.00 for the privilege of a retake!

Nice little earner for the DSA, methinks!!

Anyway, Gizmotime, thanks for sharing your result - not worth 'bottling' it up! Better luck next time - when do you have another go?

By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm fascinated - what do you do as an 'IAM Observer' - sounds interesting?

#9 13-07-04 18:15:08

bigred
Verified Member
Website

To get 100% on the theory and only miss out by a couple of clicks on the HPT must be really gutting. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get it next time.

But this HPT is something we may all have to do soon, I just hope further changes are made to the software to account for experienced drivers taking the test. I know I can pass the MCQ's but the HPT really is not a good test.

Regards,

#10 13-07-04 19:02:18

Spenceruk

Thanks for the encouraging words, Big Red. I'm determined to get there in the end!
Pass or fail, though, I agree entirely with you that the HPT is not the right way forward.
I've read on this forum recently that some learners manage to do very well on the HPT - some even getting scores in the 60's. I have no problems with that (good luck to them!). But doesn't someone at the DSA at least have a nagging doubt about the test itself when many very experienced drivers get lower scores than learners on the very same test?
In my opinion, for what it's worth, the place to test hazard perception is on the road.

#11 13-07-04 19:19:27

Gizmotime
Administrator

Bigred Gutted isn't the word :cry:  I can't say on here how I really feel.
Thanks for your really encouraging words,We know where to come if we need any help,after I have stopped crying :oops: I'm gutted.

Spenceruk    rather than me trying to explain on here what I do as an Observer. Take a look at the Advanced Driving board I have posted on there what I do.
Sorry please don't take offence to that,none was intended :oops:

I know how you feel. :oops:

#12 13-07-04 20:40:32

Spenceruk

No offence taken! I'll take a look, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
I'm fairly new to these boards so I haven't found my way around yet!

#13 13-07-04 21:01:53

Gizmotime
Administrator

That's ok and Im sorry I should have said welcome to the site,my apologies.
If you need any help regarding the Advanced Driving just shout,I'm not usually far away. smile

Giz

#14 19-07-04 20:08:39

fazer1

Hi guys,

Really feel HPT is a complete waste of time. I failed the first attempt despite holding a full licence for all categories bar road roller. Surely, if i could not react to hazards correctly i would be dead / injured. The problem is that experienced drivers see the hazard too early, and therefore quite often score a big fat zero for some clips. Just passed at the second attempt by clicking later, but it felt weird trying to delay my usual reaction time!

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 713

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home2/matthutc/public_html/drivertrainingtoday.co.uk/include/parser.php on line 714

#15 23-07-04 13:48:09

Mac

Spenceruk wrote:

I failed this morning!
100% on the Theory Questions.
55/75 on HPT.
Just 2 marks short.
I did get a zero on one clip and I'm certain I didn't miss any hazards at all so I must have clicked outside the 'window'.
What can I do to prepare better?

Hi Spenceruk

Get yourself a copy of LDC's new Theory Test CD-rom for Learners. It contains 100 hazard perception test clips that are properly put together just like the real thing with an excellent reviewing system to see exactly where you clicked and where you went wrong. There is nothing like it on the market. Its everything the Focus product should have been but wasn't because it wasn't developed by experience ADI trainers. If you complete the exercises on this product you are virtually guaranteed a pass.

It is only £9.99 and can be obtained from the LDC website www.LearnerDriving.com

Regards
Mac

#16 06-08-04 22:42:32

Spenceruk

I've passed at my second attempt!  big_smile
100% on Theory and 65/75 on HPT.
I'm delighted.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Didn't have time to try out the product recommended by Mac but I would recommend anyone doing the test to think about getting it as it sounds just the sort of thing needed for extra practice. The Focus ones were good but this new one sounds even better!
How have others got on with Part 1?

#17 17-08-04 20:01:49

suzanne73

Hi spencer, I too failed on the HPT the first time round :cry: , but I picked myself up and passed on my second go big_smile .I'm now about to take my part two test this saturday afternoon. I think that the Hpt is wrong too. The first time I took it most of the hazards appeared from the side of the screen, while i was busy looking right into the distance. On the double clip I scored a big fat zero!
I think my biggest problem was nerves though. I just don't see how sitting in front of a computer is a good substitute for being in a car. Anyway I hope you enjoy training for your part two exam, it's great knowing that by the time you take the driving test, your driving will be of an excellent standard isn't it? Good luck!

Board footer